Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-450  (Read 2725 times)
KB3NFM

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2008, 05:41:49 PM »

As a new General I'm very interested in joining MARS. Will a Yaesu FT-450 be a suitable for MARS HF and digital operations? Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 09:47:18 AM »

I am a TN Army MARS member and run a Yaesu FT-450 on voice and digital. I use a homebrew sound card interface / switch that does the interfacing for my sound card for MT-63 and other modes, and switches to my PK232MBX TNC for Pactor I for MARS WL2K. Good choice of radio.

I would suggest the SignalinkUSB external sound card and interface for sound card modes. A lot of guys use them, and they work well.

MT63 and Olivia are "listed" sound card modes for MARS, with experimentation with other modes, such as EasyPAL and Contestia.

de NA4IT
KB3NFM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 01:08:39 PM »

Thank you for the information. I was afraid the FT-450 was underpowered or require complex modifications for MARS use. I will start researching your suggestion. Thank you very much.

Bart
KE7ORS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 09:13:16 PM »

NA4IT, did you do the mod yourself or have somebody else do it? If you had somebody else do it who was it? I would like to have the mod done on my FT450 but upon looking up the mod, it looks like some de-soldering is required. I am no hand with  a soldering iron when it comes to small jobs.
Thanks for any info provided.

Tracy KE7ORS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: