Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal Drones, a local problem. How can I jam them?  (Read 2443 times)
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Yesterday at 07:11:53 PM »

Washington, D.C. – A Florida man who allegedly jammed consumer cell phone service from his car for nearly two years and interfered with first-responder communications faces a possible $48,000 fine by the Federal Communications Commission.

if all he got for that terrible act of public harm was a $48,000 fine, i would think that calling the police after acting to prevent a spy drone from enabling a pedophile to film your grandaughter as she gets into and out of your backyard hot tub would get you at most a fine of $1.  or would a reward be more likely?
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Yesterday at 07:44:56 PM »

Nothing illegal about discharging firearms here.  If someone intentionally hovered a drone over my property it would be met with a load of #4.  Afterwards, the police would be called and the wreckage would be given to them as evidence.  That is not aircraft, its a toy, with a camera, and you are trespassing.  Sorry. Wanna play with drones, COOL!  Have a little respect and keep it on your own property or somewhere you have permission.  Maybe you get away with that in some yuppie development but not out here.......  SFY you are more than welcome to fly a drone outside my window.....

Federal law is federal law and as I stated, it would be a violation of federal law to do so.  This issue has already been address by the FAA.  http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/19/faa-warns-public-against-shooting-guns-at-drones/

In fact shooting them could land you in federal prison for up to 20 years under current law. 
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Yesterday at 07:45:44 PM »

Washington, D.C. – A Florida man who allegedly jammed consumer cell phone service from his car for nearly two years and interfered with first-responder communications faces a possible $48,000 fine by the Federal Communications Commission.

if all he got for that terrible act of public harm was a $48,000 fine, i would think that calling the police after acting to prevent a spy drone from enabling a pedophile to film your grandaughter as she gets into and out of your backyard hot tub would get you at most a fine of $1.  or would a reward be more likely?
Gee, just imagine if space aliens were involved!  

-How would one know that someone a distance away is a pedophile?  Further, how would he be doing anything illegal?  Are you illegally placing your naked daughter where the public can ogle her?  Maybe YOU should be arrested and your daughter taken into state custody!  Wink

*Your post makes NO sense at all**
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Yesterday at 07:47:16 PM »

You don't own the airspace over your property.

Actually you do. (mineral rights under ground is a different matter) While it is a little difficult to enforce in a town/plat setting, in a rural setting it is different. And you take pictures it gets more complicated.

Actually, you do not.  The airspace over your property is the jurisdiction of the federal government. 
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Yesterday at 07:49:34 PM »

You do NOT own the airspace over your property above a very low and unspecified height (like not much higher than the trees or buildings). 

Try preventing airplanes from flying over your house.  The FAA will take exception with your actions.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Yesterday at 07:51:53 PM »

I'm confused, is a drone the same as a remote controlled "plane/helo" used by RC enthusiasts or does it fall in some other category?
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Yesterday at 07:59:18 PM »

I'm confused, is a drone the same as a remote controlled "plane/helo" used by RC enthusiasts or does it fall in some other category?

The RC planes & copters are what people are mistakenly calling drones.  Technically a true drone is not remotely controlled, it flies a pre-programmed path or uses some kind of detection/avoidance or tracking system.   
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Yesterday at 08:03:07 PM »

People and the media are playing fast and loose with the term drone.  The FAA has been a bit vague, but recently made a partial clarification.

The FCC has a service for hobby Radio Controlled Aircraft, cars and boats.

The FAA has clarified that RC Aircraft may only be  used for personal purposes, not for money making and must be controlled via line of sight with natural vision and may not be guided using remote vision (recently called FPV or First Person Video).  It has been established for at least ten years that model RC aircraft may not be autonomous.

The FAA has placed a temporary hold on accepting or issuing any licenses for commercial uses of RC aircraft (i.e. drones) while they study proposals for operations, licensing and regulation.

My natural inclination, biased by my naval experience, is that a Drone is an autonomous aircraft that flies a preset course.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:07:57 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Yesterday at 08:54:57 PM »

-How would one know that someone a distance away is a pedophile?  Further, how would he be doing anything illegal?  Are you illegally placing your naked daughter where the public can ogle her?  Maybe YOU should be arrested and your daughter taken into state custody!  Wink

*Your post makes NO sense at all**

first, let's just say that perverts and pedophiles would be suspects, and I had envisioned someone's daughter or granddaughter (or grandson) being in a bathing suit -- not completely naked.  Fortunately i have no children, although i do have nieces and nephews and great-nieces and nephews too. 

don't you think pedophiles would love a personal drone with a spy camera?  we can't be too far away from when operation of these things requires a license.  (at least i hope we are not)
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Yesterday at 09:03:35 PM »

What are your thoughts?
Thanks for reading.
73 de Billy N6YW

frankly i am a little surprised how quickly so many are willing to throw privacy rights out the proverbial window.

the insistence of others on how wrong it would be to jam or down such a drone -- as well as their strange accusations that you are being self-centered or paranoid -- has led me to the following suggestion.  Get yourself a drone and have it hold a drop down curtain.  then program it to match any drone flying into what you deem to be your privacy zone with a maneuver that keeps the drop down curtain between the other drone's camera and your residence Wink Grin
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Yesterday at 09:06:31 PM »

first, let's just say that perverts and pedophiles would be suspects, and I had envisioned someone's daughter or granddaughter (or grandson) being in a bathing suit -- not completely naked.  Fortunately i have no children, although i do have nieces and nephews and great-nieces and nephews too. 

don't you think pedophiles would love a personal drone with a spy camera?  we can't be too far away from when operation of these things requires a license.  (at least i hope we are not)

You are careening wildly off topic.  Your post has nothing to do with the original topic.  (but still I will reply.  It doesn't matter what they might like.  Until they commit a crime you can't do anything, and to make laws restricting every man's rights because somebody somewhere "might" do something illegal is wrong.
KB2VUQ

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Yesterday at 10:14:18 PM »

25 million candle power aimed right at whoever is holding the remote.
I figure, since whomever is flying it has to look in the direction of where
the thing is flying (or hovering), they'd probably learn very quickly to fly
it completely away from you. I'm not suggesting to weld anybodies retinas
closed or cause physical harm, but...a little distraction goes a long way.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003ARTG5K/20140000-20
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Yesterday at 11:12:06 PM »

I'm surprised!  All these comments and NOBODY has commented on Jeff Bezos' (Amazon) plan to deliver packages with drones/radio controlled aircraft.
NOISE in a residential area is my concern here.  I could care less what someone sees on or around my property.  That segment of my privacy has already been stolen by google anyhow.  If they find something interesting, I hope they let me know so I can enjoy it too.
BUT, wake me up?  That's a serious ACT OF WAR!
Tom
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:15:25 PM by WB6DGN » Logged
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Today at 12:20:19 AM »

I'm surprised!  All these comments and NOBODY has commented on Jeff Bezos' (Amazon) plan to deliver packages with drones/radio controlled aircraft.
NOISE in a residential area is my concern here.  I could care less what someone sees on or around my property.  That segment of my privacy has already been stolen by google anyhow.  If they find something interesting, I hope they let me know so I can enjoy it too.
BUT, wake me up?  That's a serious ACT OF WAR!
Tom

what if it brought u a cup of coffee and that new xcvr you have been dreaming about?   Cheesy

rest assured though:
[....] if you’re hoping that Amazon’s delivery drones are just around the corner, you’ll be disappointed. The FAA ruled recently that drone use for business purposes will remain banned for the immediate future, but that hobbyist use is still OK for now, providing you follow a few rules.

^source^: How to use personal drones legally: A beginner’s guide http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2014/07/04/use-personal-drones-legally-beginners-guide/

- - - -

here's a link to an article on the "ten coolest drones you can buy": http://money.msn.com/personal-finance/10-coolest-drones-you-can-buy

this one is number 8 on the list and only costs $30 grand:
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: