Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being loose and cute with the Phonetic Alphabet  (Read 994 times)
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »

"I have a problem with 'Quebec' in my call sign so when my signal is marginal Quebec is soft sounding so I revert to 'Queen' which gets thru better."

KC2QYM, instead of pronouncing it as 'qwe-beck' which has a soft sound try saying 'keb-eck' which still gets the message across but is much harsher.

Peter DL8OV (David Lunched Eight On Venison)
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »

I like standard phonestics, like the ones used by the military and the ones that were outlined to me when I took my novice/general tests...works for me....
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 05:43:09 PM »

AA4BQ, ham for over 50 years, Georgia Tech BSEE,  Electrical Engineer, FAA Licensed Avionics, Navy carrier-based jet pilot, retired American Airlines Captain (Intl),  Simulator designer, and a dedicated ham.

Oh brother.  Trying to impress the readers with all of this non-related aviation manhood measuring is nauseating.  Trust me, you're not that unique, but other people don't advertise it like this.

It's ham radio, not EAA, AOPA ALPA, etc.

AA4BQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 07:00:46 PM »

I agree with your point 100%. As a new General, I'm really slow at picking up phonetics where

...but it's WAY too wordy. That's another failing of hams. For example, they want to cuten up "kilo" to "kilowatt"

Shorten it up to a few sentences at most, and you'll get a better response than the preachy, Wall of Text approach.

Thank you, sir, for your comment and suggestions:

And, I agree with your assessment about the "preachy" context. I apologize for that. The verbiage was cut/pasted from another document discussion. When I attempted to "edit" it down after the initial post, the EHam policy FAQ explained that editing is not allowed (as is customary on Facebook and other forums) on the grounds that, as in conversation the FAQ says, once said it can't be taken back. So, sorry I didn't use the "preview" function before posting and locking myself out from any editing and shortening the Wall of Text. Sorry about that. I tried. Also, as all may notice, I have made a total of about 5 or 6 posts on EHam in my 50+ years of hamming. This is a new experience and I didn't expect the animus that I received, in some cases, simply based upon personal attacks on my profession and education. This is a learning experience about the expected audience for sure. I don't mean to offend anyone, but the audience of hams I have had experience from the earlier days would simply just not dream of responding like some did here. Just as in other forums on the internet, there are snipers here as well - something I really did not expect. Again, your comment about my "Wall of Text" is spot on. I concur 100%.  If I could have deleted the topic, I would have. What I will do is find peace in not arguing the topic further. People, more experienced than I with superior knowledge as to what works best with contesting and chasing DX, all have very important and valid comments. I defer to them. But, I would like to say that the topic was somewhat modified from my original point. The premise was to dispense with phonetics entirely, which I disagree with. Secondly, I disagree that "cute" call sign phonetics are unexpected by the receiving end and when conditions are poor, I personally find it very difficult to try figuring out what "cute" little phrase someone is using. I have no problem with "Honolulu" and common, expected words (as one commentator suggests).

In closing this particular "wall of text" (sorry), I have suggested my own opinion. Visceral and offensive comments like the ones by K2OY and K4WGE were unexpected. My original intent was to respond to the needs of County Hunters. My 1-month long trek across the U.S. was to include as many RARE counties as I could possibly map out and transit. Being a CW operator primarily, I wanted to determine the need of those who operate SSB and I wanted to include that mode for those hams. This is how the original discussion of phonetics came about. My SSB experience is very limited following my AM days in the 60's. I guess it's best to stick to the mobile CW ops for the county hunter's trip. This, then, ends the discussion on phonetics. Thanks to everyone who made constructive comments on the subject. I sincerely appreciate your opinions and input.

Again, I apologize to all if the "format" and "preachy" didn't fit the customary EHam forum format. With 5 posts or so to my name, it should be obvious that it was an innocent mistake. I leave these forums to those who are more adept at cheap shots. As for the Wall of Text, I realize that this is another one but I hope readers can make an exception since the topic has expanded to include many unrelated topics including editorial comments.

Note: For the County Hunters (who I intended this discussion to be with), I will soon publish my 1-month trek across America to the rarest of counties you all need. I, myself, am not a county hunter and am simply providing this trip for the benefit of hams who are avid county hunters seeking awards. I will consult with the Co Hunter's websites to determine the counties most needed and will operate CW on the published County Hunter calling frequencies. The maps I produce will be in Google Maps and/or Google Earth and available your host's website. 

Bill,
AA4BQ

God is my co-pilot.
AA4BQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »

What's the difference between God and pilots? God doesn't think he's a pilot...  Smiley

Belittling someone in a personal, passive aggressive way is not a constructive educated opinion on the topic at hand is it?

To be clear, since you brought it up, God IS my co-pilot and HE has saved my butt on many a dark and stormy night landing aboard a pitching deck in the Persian Gulf. So, joke about it all you wish. After all, I fought for your right to do just that. But, I'd rather you used the value of that fight (and the sacrifice of others like me who didn't survive it), in a more constructive way and directed to the topic you chose to clicked on and to comment.

But, again, it's your call. (Pun intended).

Best regards - 73,
Bill, AA4BQ
AA4BQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 07:07:15 PM »

What's the difference between God and pilots? God doesn't think he's a pilot...  Smiley

LOL, yep, you nailed it.

Belittling someone in a personal, passive aggressive way is not a constructive educated opinion on the topic at hand is it?

To be clear, since you brought it up, God IS my co-pilot and HE has saved my butt on many a dark and stormy night landing aboard a pitching deck in the Persian Gulf. So, joke about it all you wish. After all, I fought for your right to do just that. But, I'd rather you used the value of that fight (and the sacrifice of others like me who didn't survive it), in a more constructive way and directed to the topic you chose to clicked on and to comment.

But, again, it's your call. (Pun intended).

Best regards - 73,
Bill, AA4BQ

AA4BQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »

AA4BQ, ham for over 50 years, Georgia Tech BSEE,  Electrical Engineer, FAA Licensed Avionics, Navy carrier-based jet pilot, retired American Airlines Captain (Intl),  Simulator designer, and a dedicated ham.

Oh brother.  Trying to impress the readers with all of this non-related aviation manhood measuring is nauseating.  Trust me, you're not that unique, but other people don't advertise it like this.

It's ham radio, not EAA, AOPA ALPA, etc.

I agree. It was a cut/paste from another source and posted here. Editing was not permitted. I was new to that "no-editing" concept. Sorry for the "resume".  I am embarrassed enough about it but, personally, I wouldn't admonish another here personally. A friendly, private email would have been much heeded and appreciated.

N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Today at 12:39:06 AM »

Hi,

I've seen a few replies here from op's that sometimes have trouble with the standard phonetics list.  I think part of the problem, is it's easy to just approach it as a list of words to use any which way.  But it wasn't designed to be used that way.  Some guys in our past did put there heads together and thought about getting through static and not confusing one word on the list with another.

Unfortunately, in quite a few of my ARRL books, it is just presented as a list too!  But in order for the phonetic alphabet to be effective, the words need to be pronounced in a certain way.  With the bold sylables pronounced more firmly than the others in the word, they become much more understandable during tough conditions:

AL FAH
BRAH VOH
CHAR LEE
DELL TAH
ECK OH
FOKS TROT
GOLF
HOH TELL
IN DEE AH
JEW LEE ETT
KEY LOH
LEE MAH
MIKE
NO VEM BER
OSS CAH
PAH PAH
KEH BECK
ROW ME OH
SEE AIR RAH
TANG GO
YOU NEE FORM
VIK TAH
WISS KEY
ECKS RAY
YANG KEY
ZOO LOO

This list was in the ARRL Operating Manual 9th edition.

Cheers and 73,

Mark.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: