Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "It didn't work, so I threw it in the trash."  (Read 1887 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 03:43:46 PM »

You ever tried to work on a Baofeng? I have. Its like trying to solder grains of salt.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 05:37:43 PM »

I'm have been an avid junk collector all of my life, starting as a kid checking out the the garbage cans on our street on collection day.

I HATE to throw anything away but several years ago I did a major housecleaning.  It took me a half hour to haul it to the top of the driveway and as I watched the garbage men, it took them over half an hour going through the stuff.....I assume looking for copper.

The dumbest thing I threw away was my first J-Pole.  I built a 2m J-Pole and after looking at the beautiful job I done I came to the conclusion that this piece of plumbing simply  couldn't radiate an RF signal.  It lay in the basement for 2 years before I threw it out. 

Two years later I build another and have been using it for 10 years.  Great antenna! 

"Who knows what goes on in the minds of men?  Only the Shadow knows!"  (1940s radio program, "The Shadow.")

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »

One reason they may toss a $10 item instead of e-baying it is selling cost. It simply may not be worth the trouble. Plus shipping cost.
KG9SF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 02:47:21 PM »

Normally I bash it flat with a three-pound hand sledge.  One time I ran a piece of gear that didn't work through a chipper-shredder, but I had to sharpen the blades afterwards.

My first job out of high school was at U.S. Steel South Works in Chicago.  I had a 6 meter rig that wouldn't work, so I tossed it into a cauldron of molten steel. Now it's part of a refrigerator or a beer can or something.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »

I had a 6 meter rig that wouldn't work, so I tossed it into a cauldron of molten steel. Now it's part of a refrigerator or a beer can or something.
I think they used that pour to make ignition switch assemblies on GM cars. Those unintended consequences.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 03:59:22 AM »

Governments have been known to do this. A number of times here, there have been big military aviation projects that a new government decides to emphasise the change in policy by scrapping an almost complete project that has cost many millions because it has some problems to sort out - or is running late because of specification changes.

Meantime, the military is stuck with a weapon that they can't fire and doesn't work - called Civil Servants!
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 06:36:25 PM »

Van Gorden Engineering (Balun)

I threw one of these away... Wasn't worth it's weight in burnt PVC. 

In college at the ham club, one of the members thought that a W2AU balun was bad, because it measured shorted with an ohm meter.  I told him that's just the coils inside it, but he said it's bad, here, take it home.  So I did... Worked for me.
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 10:17:59 AM »

It's far less effort to toss it in the trash than:

1. Take to a good will donation center (then sometimes being told they don't take that......)
2. Put up a Craigslist ad and deal with the CL flakes who don't show up when they say they will or try to chisel you down from a give-a-way price.
3. Write an email to the local club reflector to see if anybody wants it.  
4. Just plain deal with people you really don't want to meet coming to your home.
5. Have potential crooks come around who are casing your place in the guise of "looking for scrap" or "good deals".
6. Try to sell it at hamfests only to bring a lot of it home again.  
7. eBay?  Yeah right.  Good for small items, but it certainly isn't worth the effort for larger items based on the price of shipping.

I've had all of these scenarios happen over the past few years.  I finally settled on putting the "junk" in several lots, putting it on CL at really good prices but not so good it attracts those who know nothing about radios.  I posted it with only email replies.  I ended up meeting some fine hams including some friends I hadn't seen in a while, while I got rid of all the large junk hanging around my shack.  

Note to self:  QUIT BUYING THE DAMN JUNK TO BEGIN WITH!

If it's simply a passing interest at the hamfest and is not going to be part of your main station IMMEDIATELY, then pass on it.

While there will be those who disagree with my opinion of "junk", disposing of it is a real pain in the rear.  Hamfests are certainly fun to attend and I love to barter like the next guy.  But if your looking for more room to put your treasured finds into, you're probably more of a hoarder then a somebody who really enjoys fixing up old rigs.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 04:43:20 PM »

Yea, I gotta someday convince myself-"beware of the fixer upper radio"...  Got some nice enough radios but all need work to some degree, if they were simple fixes they would have been by now.  I say "got a good deal now and I can maybe get to it when I retire, and you won't be able to find or afford them then"  etc. etc.  Rationalising packratting I guess.  I do sometimes trash stuff.  Not enough.  And trying to sell heavy stuff is difficult due to shipping hassles or impractical. 
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Today at 07:55:54 AM »

Well, some of the junk you see for sale at hamfests  makes one almost embarrassed to be a ham.

LOL! Yep, and the MFJ stuff listed above belongs in the trash.  I think those reviewers just got a clue.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:50:58 PM »

6. Try to sell it at hamfests only to bring a lot of it home again.  

At that hamfest, just abandon it in a corner of the room or parking lot, or if you see a pickup truck in the parking lot, gift it to the owner of that truck in its bed...   Grin  "I sold everything, but I came home with more stuff and didn't buy anything."
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: