Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does HR have a bad case of OLD Timers Disease?  (Read 5092 times)
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 10:35:21 AM »

My mother always said, when somebody or some group was claiming false positives ( that's when you say you are smart with bad breathe and bad grammar), " Oh but to give us, to see ourselves as others see us."

I have made some very good critical points here only to be called a self hating ham or a trolling vermin. I assure you nothing is further from fact.

Now, I only had one intelligent response here to my question: If you read FCC part 97.1 (basis and purpose) of HR, not one of those justified purposes really holds today. In fact, the easy pre published anybody can pass, answers to written exams and the no code, would make it virtually impossible for contributing to communication art or science. Its like saying a high school graduate suddenly has won a Nobel in Physics.

However, isn't the writing on the wall? Especially when you monitor most day in and our frequencies. Old white men outgassing about nothing.
But, what does that say about the general public's perception of HR. No, they are not impressed with huge forty meter Yagi and 100 feet. They don't care about full grown men on a safari in an RV park.

In fact the news seems to say, the public would not care if the FCC would end HR tomorrow. In fact many would say, the hobby is grand father's sports when he isn't taking Malox.

Well, just do you surveys of general public and come back and report!

73 Cry

Never give up, do you?
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 05:48:48 PM »

CG- Just a note -PC has never been my strong point and an example of things I may find interesting is converting my system over to Linux to see how that feels and trying the JT modes to see how they work. I doubt I'll get around to moonbounce but the sattys were fun.  I also like running into other guys that like gardening as well as antennas etc. I always enjoy meeting people that know more than me and there is a bunch out there -hi
Regards, Dick KH2G
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »

Pathetic...wonder why some folks don't just find some other hobby....
W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 08:47:58 PM »

As for me, I was an SWL off and on since I was 5 or 6.  I was always interested in both amateur and commercial radio since then.  Too many activities, then VERY long work hours with little time off.  I had been studying in between things for years and built countless electronic devices.  It wasn't until I was around 55 that I had time to enter in with the rest of you.  I'm just shy of 59 and learning new things to excercise my brain and also sharing knowledge with others.  I started out with minicomputer coding, so ham radio with computers is fun and interesting.  Just because some of us are older, it doesn't mean that we should stop learning or sharing.  Instead, draw on your past to tell stories about what led you here.  Make it interesting to others.  Increase your profile in your community by helping others, and use the talking time to plant seeds of interest.  Just some thoughts.

73 de Jack W8ADQ
KG9SF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Today at 01:03:03 PM »

Here's an idea for you, you pitiful miscreant:

1. Tear up your license, if any.
2. Get rid of your gear, if any.
3. Get off this forum, and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Offended?  I truly hope so.
PITSWL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Today at 02:01:54 PM »

"Old timers", i.e., elmers/elder statesmen in amateur radio, we'll say those seasoned gentlemen of 60-65+ are really not the problem in amateur radio. For the most part, they're the most enjoyable and knowledgeable people to converse with on most subjects and you can learn a great deal not just about the hobby but about things in general from them.

In my experience, the "problem" operators tend to be the guys in their early to mid-40s through their mid to late 50s. At least physically. Mentally they behave as though they never matured past 7th grade.

(( Waving a hand! ))
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Today at 03:07:04 PM »

Pathetic...wonder why some folks don't just find some other hobby....

And everytime he gets someone new to play along, someone who has not read his previous posts crap.  I got sucked into one of his posts a long time ago and decided to give an intelligent reply, only to discover that I had walked into a big pile of manure.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: