Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Improvements  (Read 2819 times)
KA1RLI

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2000, 08:31:29 PM »

Hi, as a little, little pistol (TS430S w/ 3 el tribander @10m and wires and a small amp) I was wondering if my limited funds would be better spend on newer/better antenna's or buying one of the newer and better rigs on the market.....IC756 Pro, 1000Mp, IC746, FT920, ...etc?  
N5LF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2000, 01:46:30 AM »

If your TS430 still works and unless there is some feature in a newer rig that you just can't live without, I'd put my $$$ into the antenna or other station accessories (like a DSP or built-in keyer, if you can't live without those in a new rig).

After all, it is the antenna that makes or breaks the station.  The only thing that might make me switch to newer gear is to have a more stable signal for PSK31.  But I know a guy that uses a drifty Atlas 210 successfully with that mode!

I am still using a TS-830 that arguably has about the best receiver Kenwood made for a ham rig.  I can fix the rig myself, and it has no proprietary microprocessors to burn out 10 years after KenYaeCom stopped programming them.

See ya!

Alan N5LF
NP2BT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2000, 12:21:22 PM »

I THINK THE IMPROVEMENT MOST DESIRABLE IN BUYING A NEW RIG IS THE RIGS ABILITY TO RECEIVE WEAK SIGNALS. I HAVE FOUND MOST RARER DX TO BE WEAK. I WENT FROM A TS440S TO A TS870S  AND FOUND A SPECTACULAR IMPROVEMENT IN THIS AREA. MONEY WELL SPENT IN MY BOOK.
K3YD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2000, 04:59:30 PM »

Sounds like your current HF interest is DXing, maybe with a bit of contesting thrown in?

At this point in the Solar cycle, your low tri-bander is probably adequate.  It's improvement over the next few years (higher and more gain), plus the addition of some low-angle/gain antennas for 40, 80 & 160 would be a good long term plan.

For contesting or even pulling DX spots off a packet cluster, the convenience of computer interface with a modern radio can't be beat.  

Make no mistake, there is a BIG difference between an entry level radio like a '430 and the competition grade radios like the Kenwood '930-'950, Icom '765-'775, or the Yeasu/Ten-Tec/JRC counterparts.  There are lots more selectivity tools for receiving and, for SSB, RF speech processing when transmitting.  For less than HALF the price of a new '756PRO you could buy one of the many slightly-used Competition Grade radios.  At a recent hamfest I saw a clean Icom '765 with INRAD filters for $1050.  That, or clean '940 or even a PIEXX (computer interface board) upgraded '930 would  give you the capabilities of a far better receiver, more SSB talkpower and computer interface capabiity.  The INRAD (International Radio) aftermarket filters will make any of these great radios even better!  The old adage, "If you can't hear 'em, you can't work 'em" is still true.

Other things which help?  Some good headphones (I like the Sony 7506's), a good memory keyer, and a Heil microphone.  If your beam has been assembled for 5 years or more, a complete clean-up (of metal/metal junctions) and new low-loss coax could gain you a dB or 2.  73 & Good DX!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: