Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garmin emap power supply zap  (Read 1355 times)
N7EFM

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2001, 03:25:39 PM »

Hams know almost everything and since hams and electronics go together I thought I'd ask this question. I have a Garmin emap and the external power supply had a cold solder joint which caused the output to go too high. The emap won't turn on anymore even with batteries. Anyone know the part that got zapped? I asked Garmin but they were of no help. Emaps have a non-forgiving voltage rating which is (in my opinion) a design flaw. Garmin will fix it for $90 but hams don't do that. They fix them and tell others how to do it. Can anyone help? Thanks!
N7EFM
K9EQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2001, 05:51:10 PM »

There are reasons for specifications. The designers of a product can only make it do so much. It sounds like you should have been using a better designed power supply.

You didn't mention how large the over voltage was - I assume it was significant. I would suggest that you return the unit to Garmin and spend the $90. That figure is quite reasonable considering the labor involved in repairing potentially substantial damage.

Garmin does not publish schematics for their receivers, so you are on your own with making repairs. You may wish to open it up and check for obvious things, like fuses.

73's
Chris, K9EQ

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2001, 12:05:10 AM »

Not sure if your model is sealed at factory.

My older garmin was factory sealed and filled
with inert Nitrogen gas.  Someone pried the case
open before I acquired it.

If you can open it up, you may find lots
of surface mount devices and without a schematic
you will have a hard time to fix it.

Their power connection on the older units
was also prorpier.. heck, unique to garmin..

73  wayne
N0PU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2001, 01:21:54 PM »

I see that unit sold for about $178 retail... my bet is garmin won't fix it... they'll trash it and send a new one... and make a small profit doing it... it probably only cost $50 -$60 to manufacture... just a guess but I'll bet they wholesale it at about $90...

sealed and filled with nitrogen? Hmmmmmm...

Harry Kholer - NØPU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: