Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-718 or FT-840  (Read 1377 times)
KG6ANB

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2001, 08:10:20 PM »

Next week I will be going to the seapac hamfest is seaside Oregon.  I finally want to get my very first Hf rig. because of my budget, I will have to go with an entry level model.  I have narrowed my choices to either the icom ic-718 or the yeasu ft-840.  I am having a very hard time deciding which one to choose. and they are both about the same price. which one is better built? or has the best reciever, and transmitt audio.  When I get my license upgrade, I am interested on using am on 160 meters, which rig will sound better on am? any opinions will be greatly appreciated!!!

73' de KG6ANB

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2001, 12:40:53 AM »

Well AM operation with these rigs is not very good. The 840 has an FM option while the 718 does not. The FT-840 is several years old, so the 718 is most likely to be new while the 840 could have beeen sitting in storage for several years.
AB7RG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2001, 08:21:31 AM »

I have a Yaesu FT-840 (one of my 13 current transceivers), see my product review right here on eHam. I haven't used the Icom IC-718, but for 160M it's DSP capability would be a plus. However, nothing sounds better on AM than my Yaesu FT-840, as I installed the optional wide AM filter. (Stock filtering is done via the SSB filter, which results in muddy audio.) The only other drawbacks to the 840 is the lack of a notch filter and VOX. I think you'll love the radio, but you really can't go wrong either way.

73 Clinton AB7RG/9

N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2001, 12:50:17 AM »

My brother, KC0IOX, got an IC-718 for Christmas. The rig has been perfect. Even though the FT-840 is also an entry level transciever it's design is at least 5 years old. Personally, I wouldn't own a rig without VOX. Yaesu seems to be going through the same phase that ICOM did ten years ago, IC-737 etc.... ICOM paid a price for leaving VOX off of the 737 just as Yaesu is with the FT-847 and 840. Why do we put up with it?
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2001, 08:39:38 AM »

Get the Icom IC-718. Newer design with vox and upgradable to DSP for minimal cost. DSP is just great on noisy bands. Also, resale value would hold up much better as well!
KG6ANB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2001, 06:07:20 PM »

I went ahead and bought the Yaesu.  The ft-840 was being sold for only $520 at the hamfest with only one left so I bought it on the spot.  I already have a 20/80 meter diapole strung up and the radio so far is working great.  the only bad thing I have noticed is that the rig totally sucks on AM for both transmitt and receive.  I am going to install the 6khz Am filter and see if there is an improvement. I would like to know if the optional Am filter helps the radio on transmitt and recieve or recieve only.  but for only $520 dollars I dont think I could of gone wrong.  And I finally have my first Hf rig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: