Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW  (Read 629 times)
N6WU

Ignore
CW
« on: June 16, 2001, 12:01:35 AM »

Unless I have missed the boat, I have not found any forum covering CW on eham.  Lots of other stuff, but no CW.  Maybe the reason is the lack of interest in CW but then again, maybe it is just that nobody tried?  I notice a feller asking questions about learning CW.  Saw a lot of fine answers from new and old hams alike.  

Since the FCC restructured ham radio there is a huge void in the Novice Sub-bands.  The new operators are not there as there is no reason to learn more than the very basic CW at 5 WPM.  For some of us who have been around for awhile it is very concerning about the lack of new blood coming into CW.  It is my best guess that the average age of active CW operators is around 50 years of age, give or take.  This means there are a whole lot of OT's out there that will be going QRT for one reason or the other.  I know alot of OT's who have simply gotten out due to moving into a new QTH where antennas are not allowed.  Entry into CW is so small that it cannot fill the gap of those who QRT.  The CW sub-bands are getting thinner and thinner for QSO's.

I find it very interesting that even under the huge surge of new SSB operators creating less and less bandwidth there are very few who try CW.  Notice I have not said it was easy or anyone can learn or anything about it being real ham radio.  Nonsense!  CW isn't easy to learn but the rewards from learning are fantastic!  For the most part, anyone can learn with a little effort.  As for real ham radio, anyone who is a ham using any of the modes is using real ham radio!  I get pretty sick of hearing and reading about how some guy thinks one mode is better than another.  Who cares?  If a particular mode is where your interests are, go for it!  That is the great thing about ham radio, it has many modes for you to choose from.

At any rate, I have choosen CW as my mode.  If there are others who would like a place to comment about CW, operating tips, ideas, hints, elmering, QRP, QRO,QRS or QRQ, or any other thing related to CW, maybe this would be a great place to do it.  I would only add, this is a place to help or enlighten, not a place to bitch!

I will be happy to reply to any questions or comments, directly or via email.

73  Kerry  N6WU

CW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2001, 06:02:25 PM »

I just discovered that ARRL has Real Audio files of
the CW practice transmissions available for d/l
to anyone !

All you need is the basic Real Player and your there.

I will get my code down soon, shooting for end of the
year or sooner.  Now with the real audio, I can copy
it at office on my lunch break.

73 clay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: