Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tape Calibration using RF Frequency Counter  (Read 1076 times)
JIMNJ

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2001, 09:18:36 AM »

Please forgive this off topic question but I can't find help anywhere else.  Is it possible to calibrate the tape speed of a cassette deck using a standard RF frequency counter?  I have a calibration tape with a known 1000 Hz tone.  Can I connect the audio output of the deck directly to the BNC connector of the frequency counter?  If yes, any special cable required?  The counter is a Radio Shack 22-306.  It has three ranges: 0 - 10 MHz (logic), 1 - 50 MHz (RF), and 50MHz - 1.3 GHz and two impedence settings: 50 ohms, and Hi-Z.  Thanks very much in advance for any help/suggestions, recommended settings, etc.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2001, 06:12:58 PM »

Of course.  Just try it.  You can't possibly hurt the cassette deck or the frequency counter.  But finding a frequency counter that responds to a 1000 Hz sine wave might be an issue...you won't know unless you try!

73 Steve WB2WIK/6
RAD1OMAN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2001, 09:33:07 PM »

YEARS ago, I worked as a bench tech on consumer audio products... we used a Wow and Flutter measuring device. It was basically an audio frequency counting device that measured a known tone, with the tone that we played back from the tape deck and it measured the difference.
SO, I think that you should be able to take your 1kHz tape and play it into the freq counter and read the tone,as you can do with the freq counter to read the audio tone of a touch tone pad... You may have to amplify the signal to drive the freq counter to get a more stable reading.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: