Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco 340 Power Supply VS Astron RS35M Power sup  (Read 1016 times)
N6VQQ

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2001, 07:51:27 PM »

Hi,
  I am moving my Icom 706MIIG out of my car and into my apartment for the winter months, and am in need of a power supply.
   However, it seems the one I have been told was the best (Alinco 340MVT) is not available at this time, and even the distributor at Hosstraders told me they don't know when they will be available.
    I have heard good things about the Astron RS35M, and I would appreciate input on which I might get better results with, I am just returning to amature radio and have not kept up on the latest gear, so you'r input will be greatly appreciated.
              Thanks  73  Ron N6VQQ  New Hampshire
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2001, 11:10:30 AM »

There's no "best" power supply for this.  It's all a matter of value, or the ratio of performance, reliability and features to cost.

If you intend to carry the power supply around a lot (move it constantly), I'd recommend a switch-mode power supply because they're much lighter than a linear power supply equivalent.  The advantages of the lightweight, switch-mode designs are only weight and efficiency (they are typically more efficient, and draw less power from the AC mains, for equivalent DC output power, when compared with inexpensive linear designs).  The disadvantages of the lightweight, switch-mode designs is that they _all_ generate some degree of RF noise, which you might hear in your receiver.  That can be a huge nuisance, if the noise happens to fall where you want to listen.

The degree of "noise suppression" found in inexpensive, amateur-market switch mode power supplies varies from model to model, but in general is not that great.  I've never used any 13.8V switch-mode power supply sold on the amateur market that did not radiate sufficient noise somewhere in the spectrum to bother me.  As such, I use only linear power supplies at home.

The Astron RS-35M is a linear power supply that has a good reputation for reliability.  By now, I'd think that millions have been sold -- the darn thing's been on the market for at least 25 years, and is very popular.  It's performance:cost ratio is good.  It generates, and radiates, no noise in the RF spectrum.  But it's heavy.  Not the kind of thing you'd want to carry around all the time; not even the kind of thing you'd want to move frequently.

If you're going to use the power supply in one location and leave it there nearly all the time, I'd recommend the RS-35M.  It will last many years powering the IC706MkIIG, as that rig only requires about 20A peak, and the RS-35M can deliver 27A continuously, so it won't get very warm with the IC706 as a load.

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2001, 02:42:14 PM »

So, what are you doing in Manchester, NH?

Did you miss the snow, ice, rain, wind, and days and days of gray skies?  <giggle>

Glad you're going with the RS-35M.  I have three of them.  They're not "bullet proof," and they can fail, but rarely.  They mostly just sit there and work.  I never shut them off, each PS is on 24 hours a day (and drawing almost no power at all from the AC line, until a "load" [like a radio] is turned on) -- which probably helps explain why they never fail for me.

73 & hope to hear you on the bands!

Steve WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: