Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverting to SWL  (Read 748 times)
WB4APM

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2001, 08:27:18 AM »

After being out of ham radio for ten years or more, mostly because I was on the air all day long at work for thirty plus years directing air traffic and didn't want to see a radio when I got home, I decided to check it out again since I've been retired for a few months. I bought an ICOM R75 receiver, which I might say
is the best receiver of any transceiver or receiver I've ever had. I listened around for about a month
and it quickly became evident, that this was a hobby , I no longer wanted to be associated with. From
the first sight of a brand new Collins S-line ( Smell of new paint burning in ) aboard my father's ship in the
late 50's operated by the radio operator, I was hooked.  Now amateur radio is nothing more than a free for all with very little courtesy if any, arguements etc and many creeping off to the elite modes to avoid the mess. I am finding much more interesting listening on HF than amateur radio. Think I'll go back to the very point I started, as an SWL and be more content than to try to contend such foolishness.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2001, 10:57:24 AM »

So...this is a "sour grapes" story?

I wasn't licensed in the late 50's, but was licensed in the mid-60's, and I don't perceive much difference in what's happening on the HF bands between then and now.  In 1965, one of my first QSOs was with a guy who was drunk on the air half the time and his CQ's lasted 30 minutes or more.  Unfortunately, we have that, today, too, or things similar.  So, what's really changed?

I can't even imagine what's enjoyable about SWL'ing without listening to the ham bands.  Everything else is just news in different accents and languages, religious bible blasts, or propaganda.  Same as it was 40 years ago.

WB2WIK/6

K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2001, 01:30:03 AM »

I guess you see whatever you look for.  I don't know what you mean by the "elite modes," but if you can still copy CW, you'll find that aspect of ham radio hasn't changed much at all.  Still a lot of polite, courteous and skillful ops.  I had a great QSO today on 30m with an 84 year old gentleman living in a retirement home in South Dakota.  He was running 4 watts to a G5RV strung between two trees in the yard.  He was having a ball, and it was a memorable QSO for me.  Too bad you can't see the silver lining.  Did you come around eHam just to bitch?
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2001, 10:45:04 PM »

Well, I don't know why you showed up here unless it was to just bitch. If you really listened to the radio, did you LISTEN to the "elite" modes or just tune by them? Are the "elite" modes PSK31, APRS, SSTV, AMTOR, GTOR or any of that? Do you know that they exist or what they are capable of? If you really wanted help, you could have asked for it. If you just came by here to pitch a bitch, you wasted our time and yours. We don't care that you don't like us or our hobby. Why? Because here we share our knowledge and try to help those interested in learning and growing in our hobby. If that is what you want, you came to the right place. If not, well.... find some other site to vent on. As a general rule, hams are a great bunch of people. Like everything else, you'll find exceptions to that rule. If you are letting the few that are the exception become the pattern for all of us, you are missing the point. Nothing here will help you change that unless you look for it and ask for help. Make your choice. If the piece you wrote is the final choice, stay away.
Frank
KL7IPV
KD7KOY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2002, 08:06:32 PM »

I found the opposite true. Most of the ops I have had contact with were very nice people. Even with my sometimes bad "fist" on CW I've always found help and encouragement. I have yet to be "flamed" on the amatuer bands by anyone. Sure your on the right band?..: P
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: