Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay radio prices too high  (Read 1489 times)
WA7KPK

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2002, 09:31:22 PM »

Bidders can get caught up in the action. I remember reading an article in Smithsonian magazine about an auction school. After graduation some of the students went out for a congratulatory meal at Burger King, and one of them ended up auctioning his hamburger for more than he paid for it!

Personally I try to set a limit and stick to it. One way to do that on eBay is to make a proxy bid at the amount you're willing to pay. For instance if you're willing to pay $50 for an antenna and the current bid is $10 with a $1 increment, your bid will show as $11. Then if someone bids $15 your bid automatically goes up to $16. And so on until you either win the auction or someone outbids you.

And of course I will admit I don't always stick to my own advice. Smiley But I do try.

73, Creede
K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2002, 03:12:19 PM »

This has been bugging me for awhile.  I continuously see people over-bid on non-rare, late-model, used 2-way radio equipment on Ebay.  They also seem to pay high prices for obsolete (but not rare) equip that's not currently supported (parts availability).  Quite a few people are paying well over current retail prices for used, common equipment.  I know many get caught up in the bidding frenzy and don't realize it.  I highly encourage sellers and buyers to use the online ham radio classifieds (like the eHam.net one) for equipment trading. The prices there seem a lot more realistic.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2002, 10:32:07 PM »

Yup. I noticed this, too.  People definitely must be getting caught in the frenzy.

Even commercial (non amateur radio) electronics regularly get bid too high.  Digital cameras and other common electronics sell there for MORE than one can buy them from "normal" online dealers.

It's really quite silly.  I guess you can see why folks put their stuff up for sale there!

73 Mike N2MG
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2002, 10:34:31 PM »

At 13 I spend alot of time looking on the net and every so often I see a Ham radio of Laptop etc running for more then it is worth the fact is there is no way to stop this is is not fraud because this is a auction so people can run there auctions any way that want.  I have seen most of the time people stay in the normal price for instance the commen price on ebay for a Late 80's model HF rig or early 90's is between $200 and $400 the normal price for HTs  are between $50 and $200 there is where it goes over board $50 overboard HTs should not go over $150 if they used and about $180 new.  

Steve
KD5OWO
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2002, 01:01:53 PM »

Something is only worth whatever one can get for it. The fact that you may think an item is overpriced has no bearing on the situation except that you have registered your vote by virtue of distinguishing yourself as "uninterested" at that price. A transaction is only accomplished when a buyer and a seller get together.
K4PDM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2002, 01:26:04 PM »

The problem is not so much the prices that the equipment goes for, as it is the atmosphere of ebay. The description process turns hams into carnival hucksters, making wild claims for their equipment and its capabilities, many of which are blatantly false (I have seen these, believe me.) It takes the dignity out of the process and reduces it to the lowest common denominator, which the amateur service usually tries to avoid.

Although it might have brought me a few more dollars, I have avoided ebay and sold to hams who knew what they were getting, at a decent price. It would be different if we were dealing with items that had no other outlet, but the classifieds on this site and a couple of others do a good job for amateur radio sellers and buyers without having to resort to "snake oil" selling tactics. We hams deserve better than ebay...Let the uninformed, unknowing masses have it!
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2002, 02:36:20 PM »

Well for one there is no reason to avoid Ebay because I have seen some deals on there.  The thing about items being worth what someone will be willing to pay is a good look at it;but there is one reason that your point makes no sense.  You see if you see a radio used and your paying the same price or more that is not right..

Steve
KD5OWO
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2002, 02:36:21 PM »

Well for one there is no reason to avoid Ebay because I have seen some deals on there.  The thing about items being worth what someone will be willing to pay is a good look at it;but there is one reason that your point makes no sense.  You see if you see a radio used and your paying the same price or more that is not right..

Steve
KD5OWO
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2002, 11:49:34 AM »

It just takes some research to determine what a particular item has sold for in other venues. The smart people will then not bid above what seems to be an average or median price. Only a sucker will further bid up the offer price, and I agree that there seems to be a lot of suckers on eBay.  Or maybe the seller is using a "shill" account to artificially bid up the price. EBay forbids artificial bids, but how can they track every listing on their site?

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a "fair" price for a product or service. The price is simply an agreement, at a specific time and place, between a seller who wants cash more than he wants his item and a buyer who wants the item more than the cash. A few hours later in another venue, the same item may sell at a very different price. There's no way you can say that one price was fair and the other wasn't.

KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2002, 04:29:51 PM »

You must understand sir tho that when I say Items are not selling at a 'Fair' price that means to me that I am not paying more for this used item then I would pay for it new! For instance if I had a ICOM 756PRO I was selling on ebay and I had this radio for 8months I don't think it is right to see this ITEM over the normel price which right now in AES I thing is alittle over $1000.00 maybe alot more! I don't know about this for sure but I do know that some Kenwood HF radios from 93 or 94 have sold for $800.00 or more and the fact is that New kennwood HF radios run $2000.00 or less and that there is only $200 Dollar Difference tho there is 6yr or more Difference!  

you are very right sir there is no certain price for a item to be sold on Ebay but there is a line to be crossed! That line is broke if there is a Buyer who does not have the knowlege of how much a radio is worth and he bids alot thinking he is getting a good deal and has you said sometimes the Seller bids just so the price will go up!  Now I don't think this is a Commen thing that happens but I am not sure I only watch ebay prices my dad bids!

There is a good way to bid for those who do not understand! If a Auction is say $650.00 and someone bids on it and it becomes $670.00 Don't go up more the what the other person went up on then at the very last minute bid 1 more dollar then it is you might just get a $800.00 radio for $750.00!  

Good Luck in the bidding world!

Steve Xavier Anness,KD5OWO
WB9WHE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2002, 12:33:07 PM »

Funny how some people make simple things complicated.

The "price" is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. That's it.  Whether you, as an observer, agree or disagree is irrelevent.

If you are a BUYER and don't like the price....DON'T BID.

If you are a SELLER....run to ebay!

What could be more simple?
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2002, 05:20:30 PM »

I am the observer!  I watch to see what is going on and people do get taken avantage of!  Alot of the time radios get sold to high!  People could always pay $9 for a HF Rig now that is not what they would pay but hey the way you put it the 'price' is what the bidders bid!  Well then I better start bidding!  Hey Hey

Steve,KD5OWO
KD7MWR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2002, 07:59:26 PM »

One way to get deals on EBay is to watch the newest auctions and use the Buy-It-Now option once the item is posted.  Sometimes items can be had for a good deal, sometimes items are way over priced.  I have seen very good deals had using this option.  Sometimes getting in early on Dutch Bids can also be good deals.  Right now there is a Dutch Bid for 30 new Alinco DX-70TD MF/HF + 6m radios on Ebay for $350 (Item # 1334672159).  However, for most cases, I have seen used radios sell for more than new radios.  I don't see the logic.
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2002, 08:14:44 PM »

I have seen that too! I have also seen older model radios sell more then the new models!

Steve,KD5OWO
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2002, 11:11:58 AM »

Steve sure is persistent!

Steve, the world has its share of idiots, and if they want to overbid for something, or do other stupid things, the nanny state shouldn't try to stop them.

I once had a work colleague who made the point that if all the world's wealth was divided equally among all the world's people, within 3 or 4 generations it would be back the way it is now. The longer I live and the more I see and learn about human nature, the more certain I am that he was right.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: