Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco DJ-196T  (Read 560 times)
KC0MFW

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2002, 12:19:22 PM »

I'm looking at purchasing a single band two meter handheld. I want an ht with the bnc antenna, and it must have a port for 12 volt dc - like from a cigarette lighter. I was looking at the Alinco DJ-196T, and the only question that I have is does this radio have the bnc antenna, or is this a non-removable antenna? Thanks,
kc0mfw
N8MHD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2002, 01:45:25 PM »

I have the predecessor, DJ195T -- not different in any important way.  The antenna connector is BNC, and very sturdy.  Other antennas are easy to connect.  There is a socket on the side where you plug in the recharger wall wart;  you can also get a cigarette lighter plug with the same connector (~$10?), and it allows both transmitting and recharging from your car battery.  It's a good radio -- both transmitter and receiver perform well.  The "extra" features are easy to access, and easy to remember.  Overall I like it a lot.  Only two things aren't entirely satisfactory:  the scan is very slow, and the battery management is poor.  When the battery indicator shows low, you've got about 30 seconds before it's dead;  also the battery discharges (slowly) while the radio is off.
KC0MFW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2002, 10:54:39 PM »

Thanks for the reply! That's what I wanted to know. Looks like this might be the ht for me.
kc0mfw
AA7T

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2002, 01:59:31 PM »

I have one of those Alinco DJ-195T radios.  I bought it when Radioshack was selling them a few months back for $99 on their web site.  

I found a NiMH battery pack at MAHA that fits that radio.  I have not had any problems with low battery voltage.

The AA battery package that came with the radio didn't last enough for use.  Thats why I looked for a suitable rechargable battery pack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: