Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Operating on cruise ship  (Read 541 times)
WB2SCT

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2002, 06:00:27 PM »

Does anyone know whether amateur radio operation is allowed on cruise ships?  I am taking a cruise to Caribbean and would like to bring my Yaesu 817.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2002, 06:46:41 PM »

You must ask the Captain's permission, which you'll probably get.  Once in "international waters," which of course generally occurs only minutes after setting sail, you're Maritime Mobile; in port, you're portable in the port country.

I took my little Ten Tec Scout 555 (50W, battery powered) on a Pacific cruise last July, on the M V Elation (Carnival Line) and had no problem securing permission to operate, as long as I stayed out of their way.  One of the radio/comms ops on crew was a ham with an Italian license.

Tip: Operate from an upper deck in a non-populated area, but the uppermost deck is often so windy that it's almost impossible to sit there, let alone hear anything (lots of wind).  I found a cozy place near a couple of hot tubs about one or two decks down from the top, it was still very "open" about 300 degrees, and a fine place.

WB2WIK/6
KC7GF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2002, 10:44:04 PM »

Just don't try to operate without asking first. One of the newbee locals did that, not knowing or caring what the rules were, and they confiscated his equipment for the rest of the cruise. Luckily he got it back at the final destination.

Art - KC7GF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: