Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In need of help for 706mkiig  (Read 541 times)
K9HPC

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2002, 02:44:29 PM »

I recently perchased a brand new icom 706mkiig. I use it primarily on 2mtr and 70cm. However, I have noticed that on 2mtr I keep getting intermitent squelch bursts that last maybe a second or two. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this or any other ideas on how to troubleshoot the issue. 73's
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2002, 11:22:08 AM »

Sounds like possibly you have a local noise source and the receiver is simply reacting to it.  Do you _not_ hear something similar on a different 2m receiver tuned to the same frequency and connected to the same antenna?

Does the squelch problem disappear if you disconnect your 2m antenna from the Icom?

WB2WIK/6
K9HPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2002, 06:18:35 PM »

the problem stays there even if the antenna is connected or not. also occurs anywhere on 2 mtr band. this never occurred before when i was using the same antenna and power system for an icom 2800h. and it only happens after the radio has been on for a short period of time.(i.e 5min) and very frequently after. it is never present when the radio is in a (cold) condition. (just turned on) after being off for the night or a couple of hours.
W8JJW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2002, 04:07:08 PM »

I use the 706MKIIG on 2M, 70cm and HF daily.
It sounds like it might be an interaction of settings in the menus. AGC vs Noise Blanker (NB) vs DSP modes maybe. Try resetting the radio to factory defaults via a power-on reset (in the manual). Then in VFO mode, tune the frequency you want on 2M and see if the noise is still there. If you run just on the battery is the noise present? Is it the same in different locations?
This is a tough one to pin down remotely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: