About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-820S  (Read 396 times)
KC2JOF

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2002, 03:09:36 PM »

I just got my gen ticket, and bought an 820s in excellent conditon. I am using a DXEE antenna on my roof. I am receiving great signals on 40, 20 15, and 10 meters. My problem is no one can hear me. I was told that the finals were just changed. I have the manual and have tuned the radio accoding to the book. I made on contact on the 40m band, and he said the signal was barley audible. I am not using an antenna tuner. I was told it was not necessary on this righ because of the tube finals. I know I am  doing something wrong. If someone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Larry KC2JOF
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2002, 04:57:14 PM »

You might be doing something wrong, but maybe not.

Do you have an external (outside the TS820S) SWR/wattmeter?  An outboard wattmeter, even a cheapie made only for ham radio work, is a great asset and will let you know if your rig is actually transmitting with the power it is capable of generating (which is about 100W, with the TS820S).  It will also let you know if your DXEE antenna is tuned up reasonably well.  The TS820S alone, using just its metering, cannot tell you that because it does not indicate SWR.

It's possible that the rig's fine, and you're doing nothing wrong but the DXEE is badly mismatched because it's never been tuned to resonance.  If that's the case, it is possible to hear lots of strong signals and have nobody hear you!  The DXEE, like most antennas, does require "site-tuning," meaning you cannot just take it out of the carton and hook it up.  If it's badly mismatched (very possible, because the tuning is very installation dependant), its coax feedline will have enormous loss and it's possible that your 100W output from the TS820S is being reduced to less than 10W at the antenna itself.

Let us know more about what you're doing.

WB2WIK/6

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: