Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom SM-8 Mike  (Read 1282 times)
KC2CAG

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2002, 11:29:59 PM »

I recently bought an SM-8 mike to work with my IC-735.  The High / Low switch on the base of the mike is not adequately described in the booklet that came with the mike.  Does anyone have recommendations as to what the best setting for this swith is with the -735?  Any recommendations for the potentiometer settings?

Thanks in advance

Tom
KC2CAG
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2002, 09:54:48 PM »

The ICOM SM-8 desk mic has an electret condenser type mic element and gives clear tone over a wide variety of voice levels. The gooseneck may be adjusted to any angle. It features UP-DOWN tuning (on compatible ICOM transceivers). There is a switch for PTT (push to talk) and also a lock feature. This mic has two line inputs (A/B) for operation from two transceivers. ICOM even includes the second mic cable that you can connect, if needed.

On the bottom of the mic base there is one control for tone. Plus there are separate level adjustments for input A and input B. The mic cables terminate to a standard ICOM 8 pin mic plug.

W2CTM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2002, 11:39:03 AM »

Hi! I know this post is old, but I wonder if you ever got an answer to your question? I just did the same reserch, and found out that all the older icom rigs that model # end without 0 have a mike impedance of 600 ohms. So your radio would use the low setting. As far as the mic gain and tone, I didn't get my used sm-8 yet, but a friend has a new one with the factory setting. So I'm going to return my mike to those settings, and start from there. I think you have to experiment on the air, and set them to what sounds best for others on your radio. Hope that helps! Take care, Charlie W2CTM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: