Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my problem with reviews on here...  (Read 741 times)
N7WSB

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2002, 04:55:07 AM »

Anyone ever notice that in any given product there's sometimes a guy who reviews a radio, but doesn't actually own it.

Check out - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/376 I wrote a review for this radio (Yaesu FT-51R) quite a while back, and just read it again - has a lot more reviewers - scroll down to KE6ZML - who gives the poor radio 3/5 and says he settled on the Icom W32A. He doesn't own one (he says he has the W32A) but its performed 3/5 for him in the last 7 years of service (the age of the radio if you do have one).

I've also read reviews of HF diploes where guys admit they don't have one, but incist that its easier just to build your own [I agree] (and procede to give instructions on how to build one) http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/512 - this guy doesn't actually have one, but he gave it 4/5 anyhow.

Maybe some disclaimer that says something like - "look if you don't really own the product - or if they didn't give you one to review you really shouldn't be here."
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 01:18:58 PM »

I agree.

Opinions are like mouths - - everybody has one, and some are louder than others. I have a poor opinion about GM products, and I don't own one because I harbor a negative opinion. But I don't profess to tell them how to fix their lousy built quality. I suspect not everyone adheres to this philosophy. In other words, it doesn't matter that they don't own it, they're going to tell you how to make it better.

When I get riled about this sort of thing, I remember the old adage: It's best to be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Alan, KØBG

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 03:31:30 PM »

...except that you needn't own the cow to know whether or not it provides milk.

Intelligently written reviews by people who have frequently used the equipment, whether owning it or not, are acceptable to me.  I used several Ten Tec Jupiters, and determined I don't want to own one, based on having used a number of them that crossed my workbench.  I've never owned an FT1000MP, but have used them in contests for three years now and love the rig -- would heartily recommend it, based purely on about 150 hours of use and not ownership.

WB2WIK/6
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2002, 05:38:22 AM »

I can see both sides to this. I would not buy a Ten-Tec rig or recommend one for purchase. But I have never owned one. And I feel I have good evidence for this opinion. But if I did own one and was happy with it, it would not sit well with me to hear the above.
 I currently have a question on the "Elmers" about my cordless phone. You should see the smart aleck reply I got from a guy who has been using his wrong for over five years. (incidently, mine is 8 years old) Another guy tells me to just buy a new one. Guys, I'm a poor ham on a fixed income. I do not "just go buy another one".
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2002, 10:40:19 AM »

Wow...doing a product review without either owning or having SIGNIFICANT experience with something is about as arrogant as it gets.  I can see someone doing a review, say, on a rig used 3 years in a row at FD, and several times at a contest station, I have no problem with that at all.  Some of this is absurd, for sure. I gotta believe someone who would do something like this is so stupid their review on something they owned would be about as worthless as the one they did on the product they didn't own.
AD5IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2002, 12:30:19 PM »

I've never actually given a review but after reading them 6 - 12 months I'd give them a 4 out of 5.
N7WSB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2002, 12:35:04 PM »

I still think that its unfair to the product manufacturer or its users when someone comes on here - claims to have used the thing on field day or in the radio shop and gives the thing a low rating.

Its supposed to be based on real use. I don't think most products are reviewed this way. I wouldn't give two shakes to someone who reviewed a computer system based on his or her use of it at compusa or at a friends house.
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2002, 02:26:08 PM »

Frankly, N7WSB, I don't know that I agree with you.   If I "pick up" a radio, at a friends, at Field Day, wherever, and find that it is not very "user friendly"  (I HATE that term)  then is not that a valid point?    MAYBE that's why I decided to buy "brand x".    

My favorite gripe is my VX-5 Yaesu--I own (several) FT-50's and like them generally.   I bought a VX-5 expecting the same easy menu useage with the "big knob" on top.  Not so.  Yaesu, in all their wisdom, decided to make the menu navigation more complicated.   I really didn't like it.   Frankly, if I'd realized some of the things about this radio BEFORE I bought it, I may just NOT have.

The thing is, lots of casual and serious users/owners can notice little things here and there about radios that are not really pointed out in the ads, in op manuals, or in QST or other places.   I appreciate all the comments I can get, at least if they're in good faith.
N3CJN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2002, 12:38:43 PM »

Must be the paranoid in me, but for some products I get the sense that there are a few guys who post reviews that completely trash a product just to lower its average score.  Could anybody be that low? Nah.
Certainly, no one affiliated with the manufacturer's competition would try to skew the reviews to help their products' positions!

Although everyone's experiences are different, it seems unlikely that if 15 users give it 5/5 with details to back it up, that others can feel that it's totally worthless.  When I see that, I write it off to bad luck, spite, or who knows what.

My rule of thumb is to ignore the ratings.  If you're interested in a product, read the detailed reviews carefully.

Also, when posting reviews, relate your own experiences honestly, and avoid getting drawn into flame wars with the other reviewers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: