Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northern VA Real Estate  (Read 569 times)
K4ZA

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2002, 08:36:30 AM »

I've been offered a position in Northern VA.
While I would love to return to PVRC-land, the options
for "suitable" housing for ham radio seem
overwhelmingly negative.  Any hints/suggestions, etc.
appreciated--even any blatant real estate agents who are hams?  Work in Falls Church.  Commuting from NC now,& work long days (14 hours typical), so the time available to search is limited.  Internet searching isn't much better.  Won't mind a commute because it's probably shorter than driving from Charlotte.  Anyone know anything suitable @$400,000 (okay, you can stop laughing, that's all I have) with the possiblity of
erecting 1-2 towers, pse contact me, & tnx in advance.

k4za@juno.com
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 02:17:35 PM »

I can't help you directly...

But knowing that part of the country as I do, I'd think you might want to head a bit farther north, into suburban Maryland.  About 60 miles up highway 97 is a very pretty, hilly part of MD which "just happens" to be home to one of the big-gun DX contest stations, owned by Frank Donovan W3LPL.

You might want to give Frank a call and see what he suggests.

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6
W4BQF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 05:41:18 AM »

Since I have lived in N. Va for the past 34 years, I have to disagree with Steve. You may want to look out RTE 97 (Georgia Ave) IF you have unlimited resources. Places like W3LPL and K3ZO are now being sold in multi-acre parcles which are NOT inexpensive! Besides, northern Va. near where K4ZA works, is close to the highest point in the metro DC area (Tysons Corner). (Frank's place, where I have guest operated in several contest, is lower in altitude, but for sure he has a clean shot into Europe.) By the way, you can't talk about W3LPL's contest station, you have to go see it personally to appreciate what Frank has designed and built!
Anyway, there are great contest stations in Virginia also, for instance W4MYA and now K4JA, very competative PVRC contest stations.
Tom/W4BQF
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2002, 07:12:30 AM »

Hi Tom,

I have visited W3LPL's station and took photographs of it which were later published in CQ Magazine.  Very impressive, for sure, and perhaps even more impressive now (since it's been several years).

At the time (late 1980's) I inquired about real estate cost in that area, and was surprised to find the costs very reasonable, compared to here (southern CA).  However, in 13-14 years, I imagine the costs there, like everywhere else, have risen.

I was trying to recommend semi-rural as opposed to suburban, in hopes of escaping the "CC&R" problem which seems to pervade the DC area.  There's still a lot of open area in southern NJ where no CC&Rs exist and the opportunity to erect large towers is very much available, near where K2BU and N2MM live; don't know if same is still available in MD, but it's worth a shot!

Steve, WB2WIK/6
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2002, 09:17:21 PM »

I'm a sore back so know a little about
the Ole Dominion.

Try lookin' around Culpeper, Chancellorsville,
Orange, etc.   Fredericksburg used to be OK,
but may not be anymore.

73 de Ronnie

KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2002, 10:41:28 AM »

Real estate suitable for multiple towers is getting harder to find in Northern VA these days.  It's too bad that when KB4CVL moved to FLorida that all his towers came down.  His equipment is now all over northern VA, I have one of his smaller 48 footers at my place.  K8ISK and W4XP of the K8GP contest group are big time microwavers and all live in Prince William County in the Bull Run Mountain area.

Lots of rural real estate in western PW is lots cheaper than you'd pay in close to the beltway near the intermod alley of Tyson's Corner.

If you don't mind a bit farther commute, look farther out towards Bluemont, Linden or Winchester, in Warren, Clarke or Frederick counties, really pretty country which hasn't been completely trashed by the land grabbing developers yet and you find lots of friendly hams out there, if not as many of the big gun contesters.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: