Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can the Icom IC-706MKIIG receive the Aircraft Band  (Read 604 times)
K3TRC

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2002, 07:37:23 PM »

I have a question about Icom's IC-706MKIIG frequency coverage range.

It is stated in the specs that the "receiver's" coverage range is between 0.030 - 199.999 MHz and 400 - 470 MHz

If anyone has one of these transceivers, could you please tell me if this unit "is" able to receive the FM radio band (88-106 MHz) and also the Aircraft band (108-136 MHz)?

Since both of these bands fall between .030 and 199.999 Mhz, you would think that it should be able to receive those bands!

Naturally, this would not be my primary intended use for this transceiver... but it would be kind of nice if it did receive these bands along with all the other neat features that it has!

Thanks! - Tony / K3TRC
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2002, 01:12:48 AM »

The answer is "Yes".
Frank
KL7IPV
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 10:52:54 AM »

Some of the earlier models had a wiring error that switched in the incorrect filter, however, the latest versions work correctly.

If you look hard enough, you can find fixes for the earlier models, as well as full-range transmit mods.

Alan, KØBG

N3CJN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2002, 12:16:16 PM »

Yes, no problem.

I use mine mobile to listen to the local airport tower freq. on 119.5 and local ATC frequencies.  I use a short Larsen 2m/440 for the antenna, and that's not ideal.  But I can hear the local traffic OK, and that's enough for me when mobile.  As I recall, when I used it with a Diamond discone at home, it heard better.

It's also fine for listening to the NOAA wx frequencies
(unlike the FT-817).

I have used it to listen to the FM broadcast band, but not since I've had it mobile (my car stereo does just fine).
K3TRC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2002, 03:09:24 PM »

Thanks to all who replied to my Icom IC-706MKIIG question!

Your answers were just what I was looking for... Thanks to you, I just placed an order for my own IC-706MKIIG (should be arriving 9/16)

Tony / K3TRC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: