Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reciprocal licenses in Australia, New Zealand  (Read 579 times)
N3KD

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2002, 01:01:53 PM »

Holy cow! I found out today (8/14) I might be traveling to Australia and New Zealand on business at the end of October. After looking at www.aca.gov.au, ARRL's, NZART's and other websites I think I can get a VK reciprocal permit by walking in to one of their licensing regional offices. It seems remarkable that they would issue one on the spot. At least the aca.gov.au site says that they prefer I apply in person so that can eyeball my papers. Will I really get a reciprocal license on the spot (assuming I have all the needed documentation, of course)? How efficient!

Of course I can and will email them, but I thought that maybe someone here or there can give me a real life experience report.

And as for ZL-land, looks like I can only apply by mail/fax and need to do so ASAP to allow for recommended 2-month lead time.

Well, at least they both seem to permit 2-meter operations without special permit.

A few VKs were coming in pretty decent this AM on 20m at 1000 Z -- I think I'll get up early again tomorrow I might get to ask one directly

Much thanks in advance for anyone who has any comments. If I don't pop back on the thread to post a personalized thanks every time, it's not because I don't, as always, appreciate the help from all of you.

Frank N3KD
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2002, 02:04:44 PM »

During the 80s, it took FIVE months to get the ZL permit, and thus I never did operate there. The VZ takes about an hour "IF" you're lucky. Typically, the next day.

Alan, KØBG

N3KD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 04:54:08 PM »

Alan: Thanks for the info. Well, my ZL enthusiasm is a tad damped. I better get those documents off in the fax machine pretty quick. -- but the Australian prospect stills sounds good - Thanks for the enouragement along that line. I now have a perfect reason to indulge what is now a bona fide NEED for an 706-MKIIG, too!
Frank  
KB4TWN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 05:31:53 PM »

I am, or was VK2IRO while I was in Sydney about 2 years ago.
And yes, it is just that easy. I walked in to the ACA office at 55 Clarence Street, gave them $50.00 AUS and walked out with my license in hand.
They will go out of thier way to accomodate you. I even had a faxed copy of my license and they still accepted it.
Your post does not say where you are headed. But, if you are in Sydney, NSW I would recommend a visit to the Maritime museum at Darling Harbour. On weekends they operate from HMAS Vampire. And they really go out of their way to make a guest operator feel welcome.
Good luck!
K3MLA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2002, 11:18:05 AM »

It took about 45 minutes (I got there at lunch time) to get the ticket at Sydney's office. Since I was applying in June they prorated for six months. They normally issue for a year at a time in January. Think it cost me about $30AU. Eastern VK has a lot more FM activity on 2M and 432 than Western VK. I spent time in both places. Great people to work with. ZL was more difficult, however I contacted somebody in their national club and he was able to assist me. It does take about 2 months though. Have fun, they are both a great bunch of people to work and play with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: