Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QST Magazine  (Read 1055 times)
N5WDD

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2002, 07:08:20 PM »

To those of you in the Ham community that are not members of the ARRL, but do read QST Magazine I learned
a disapointing piece of news today.

The ARRL has Stopped making QST available to News stands and Book Stores. I inquired to the Circulation
Department at the ARRL today as I had been unable to get my usual Newsstand copy for August and they replied stating that It was no longer fiscally viable to publish copies for the News Stand and Book Store
market.  They did offer to take my $39.00 for a subscription..

I have no complaints with the ARRL but I can only join so many orgizations to get their Mags.

I am Disapointed.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 11:21:31 AM »

I'm not surprised ARRL has changed their policy. ARRL has been making a lot of cuts lately, and recently decided to publish local news and other items only on the internet. These cost-cutting changes have a negative affect a some folks for the benefit of the masses. Good, bad, or indifferent, it takes a lot of hard decisioning to stay in business these days.

Alan, KØBG

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 02:47:38 PM »

Distributing a special interest publication like QST through the 'Newsstand' route is almost always a losing proposition.  Most magazines sent to this type of outlet are on a consignment basis.  If 12 are sent and only 6 sell, they have to be taken back and the loss eats up all the profits and more.  I anc understand why they are doing this and I hav to gree with them.

Dennis - KG4RUL
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 03:28:10 PM »

N5WDD, why buy your "usual Newsstand copy" of QST, when it's a whole lot cheaper just to join the ARRL and get the subscription included for $39 annually?  Purchased monthly, the newsstand copy of QST was $4.99 a month...or $59.88 a year.  For $20.88 per year less, it could be in your mailbox every month.

I agree with the League's decision to not distribute the magazine this way, and I'm surprised it took them so long to determine it was a losing proposition.

WB2WIK/6
N5WDD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2002, 03:58:40 AM »

I am not a member of the ARRL and do not suscribe because I have 6 publications that have to be renewed
each year. This with two or three Professional membership dues during the year leave little for Hobby type magazines. I know that it makes better sense to
suscribe but with all this its hard.

But with this move the ARRL will probably get my suscription at some point but I will miss two or three
months of the magazine.  Unfortunatly I have seen moves like this in other magazines prior to failing and that is what bothers me the most.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2002, 10:40:57 AM »

Agreed it's a sad trend, but I really doubt that QST will "fail."  It's only the monthly publication of an organization having more than 100,000 members.  If they could post the entire magazine on line, and everyone had a fast internet connection, the League could save a great deal of money by not printing the magazine at all, and just letting members view it completely on-line.  There's already an ARRL "members only" section of the League's website, which contains many interesting items not available on the general website -- they'd only need to extend this service.  Probably already working on it.

With my T-1 connection, I can download the entire index of 22 years' worth of QST Product Reviews in less than one second.  As more and more people achieve fast connections, we'll all be able to do that.  The entire index of all QST's ever printed, which would take hours to read on paper, could be downloaded in 3 seconds.

I'll remain a League member forever, but will definitely miss the printed version of QST if that stops -- if for no other reason than nostalgia's sake.

WB2WIK/6
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2002, 06:30:13 PM »

Wow...it's so much more than just "subscribing" to QST - you are JOINING the national organization for ham radio in the United States.  As much as folks pick on them (and I do from time to time) they are really our one voice in Washington (and elsewhere).  If you want ham radio to exist in any form above CB, it's smart to support the league and become a member.  QST is just the one tangible membership benefit.

Like with shooting... I don't "subscribe" to the "American Rifleman"...I'm a member of the NRA.  The magazine is just a VERY small part of it.

It would sadden me if the ARRL has really made this decision but I'm sure it wasn't made arbitrarily.

Mike N2MG
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2002, 11:02:14 AM »

I'm sure this decision was made for good fiscal reasons, but it is kinda sad. You gotta believe non-Hams picked up a copy from time to time just to see what was inside, and I think a few copies ought to be available some way for the non-Ham public to peruse, whether it be in libraries or wherever.  I enjoy QST, although it is frustrating to see the same old ads in the same tired places every month. I certainly don't espouse everyting the League stands for, but that's OK. In my opinion, the ARRL needs people like me who do not toe the party line on everything. I think dissention is good in big organizations, to keep people from getting too set in their ways. Fresh ideas are good. Don't get me wrong...I'm sure there are several things I am in agreement with the ARRL, but not everything, for sure. I guess what we need to start doing as Hams, is start leaving our old copies of QST laying around from place to place for non-Hams to read.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2002, 10:28:31 PM »

I have always left my magazines in places that you don't normally see them...doctor's offices and dentist's offices. I also give them to the library and they seem appreciative of them. I do have some reservations about just leaving them since the last few issues of the magazines (QST, CQ, World Radio) have what I would describe as negative mails to them. How do we explain the negatives to those who just pick them up? You and I understand that we have differences but when it comes to ham radio we are united in the hobby. That is hard to understand if you are reading that but not part of the hobby. So I bite the bullet and leave them with the hope that it helps and not hurt us as hams.
Frank
KL7IPV
K1DRM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2002, 03:12:34 PM »

Let me make sure I understand. You don't join ARRL "... because I have 6 publications that
have to be renewed each year. This with two or three Professional membership dues during
the year leave little for Hobby type magazines. I know that it makes better sense to
suscribe but with all this its hard" when you would SAVE money by joining! And then you complain because ARRL has decided not to sell QST through news stands. Sounds to me as it ARRL is doing you a favor.
N5WDD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2002, 10:44:45 AM »

Ok! OK! leave out my personal reasons for not subcribing to QST and think of It this way. Most Major publications are on the magazine racks and shelves at book stores and News stands. QST has always been available to me and others in several locations in my area without having to be a member. Therefore I always thought of QST as a Major Magazine representing the Amature Community. I could always tell someone interested in Amature Radio to read QST for several months to learn more about being a Ham.

With this move the ARRL has reduced the Stature of their Publication and placed it into a niche as a Hobby Magazine only available to its members. Maybe a
high quality one but still, Its only available to a select group of suscribers now.

I have been told that in the mass market, "Perceptions are reality". And when QST was on the mass market news stands and book stores and seen daily by the masses as well as Amatures it has been perceived as a National Magazine with nation wide coverage. Now it disapears from these stands and is only available to Members or "Suscribers" It has become a NICHE Publication and I don't think that it will be Perceived as a Major Publication as it has in the past. I personaly think that this is a DANGEROUS long term decision by the ARRL.

QST will always remain probably as the Top Amature Magazine in the Ham world but it only covers the Ham
world now. And that! as I have said before is Disapointing.

N5WDD

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2002, 11:22:14 PM »

I have subscribed to QST (and supported ARRL) for over 40 years. As a magazine QST is not that great. I Like CQ mag better. But with all this internet ham content, places like eham are MUCH more interesting than QST. And QST keeps raising their sub rates -- $39 this year and I aint sure it is worth that much? QST damn sure aint worth $39 a year but I still think we need ARRL to support the hobby.

I read eham almost every day (and yes I support them $$$$ you should too), I read the ARRL website rarely. What does this tell me? I should be giving eham my $39. I learn and have more fun here.

K9IUQ
N9ESH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2002, 11:33:47 PM »

Ouch! I think the League is making a big mistake.  Not for us established Hams, but for the newcomer. The newsstand allowed one to “sample the waters” so to speak. To see what Ham radio is all about before making a commitment. I can remember dropping $.60 and marveling at how much fun it would be if I were licensed. Of course, at the time that was all I could afford.

The newsstand QST also listed all the literature needed to get started.
K4PDM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2002, 11:57:11 AM »

In my view, the unfortunate part of this is that QST had pushed the other ham magazines off the shelves at the bookstores in my rural area. I have not been able to find "CQ" in stores for some time...it disappeared not long after QST showed up. Althought I am an ARRL member and get QST through the mail, I considered it acceptable that these small bookstores only carry one ham magazine, and if they did, then it made sense that QST was the one. Does this mean that now, small-town America will have no ham magazines on the newsstand shelves?
I guess nowadays people can be introduced to our wonderful hobby via the Internet, but my early ham education was through CQ Magazine, and for that I will be forever grateful. I hope CQ returns to fill the void.
N6AYJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2002, 04:19:33 PM »

I'd never read QST and I'd never join the ARRL.  The League has absolutely no concept of how to properly represent its members.  I hope they go down the tubes.  As a matter of fact, I hope this whole frigging hobby goes down the tubes!  All hams do is have a bunch of airhead QSO's anyway.  If we're going to have airhead conversations, let the airhead public have the frequencies.  I mean, let's face it, ham radio is really a shitty hobby.  Bill Crowell, N6AYJ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: