Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QST Magazine  (Read 1134 times)
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2002, 04:59:25 PM »

TO Bill Crowell, N6AYJ:

I for one am GLAD you are leaving the hobby!  We don't need an attitude like yours at all.

Dennis - KG4RUL

P.S. - I will continue to enjoy my inane QSOs, in spite of your disapproval.
ALLENCB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2002, 07:42:02 AM »

It's a shame that QST will no longer be available on the newsstand.  I'm just getting into this hobby (don't know if it'll "stick" yet) and it was one of the better magazines on the rack, imo.  

Chris
KD7KGX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2002, 07:02:54 AM »

The main reason I became a ham is because I stumbled across a copy of the March '00 QST and bought it... read the review on the K2, thought it would be neat to build and operate a radio (and besides I always wanted to be a ham).  The short version: I got my General ticket, built a K2, have several rigs now and really like ham radio!  QST availability is what made me become a ham!  Oh... I'm also an ARRL member and look forward to receiving the magazine every month.  Bad move to not publish newsstand copies, ARRL!
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2002, 01:51:21 AM »

It's unfortunate that the Newsstand version is being discontinued, but in the meantime, check your local library.  Many have a subscription to QST.
N7JCT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2002, 04:58:04 AM »

I believe that there are many more like you.  The ability to pick up QST, CQ, 73, and Ham Radio at the news stand contributed greatly to keeping my interest level up and getting my ticket.

It's hard to find any of those rags or any of their type.  Maybe it's a sign that the hobby is dying out.  Who knows.  One thing that you can count on tho is that reduced exposure to the non-ham public will result in a drop in recruitment.  

When you look at the actions of the ARRL in the last ten, twenty, or even thirty years you'll see that this move isn't suprising.  The ARRL is NOT interested in what's best for the hobby or the state of the art.  They are quite honest about that I believe.  They ARE interested in promoting the adjenda of a rather elite few.

QST was an excellent magazine as I recall.  I purchased it on the new stand for a while after leaving the ARRL.  Yes I have a beef with them.  I don't like their politics.  But the magazine was largely good and it is going to be sorely missed as a public awareness tool.

IMHO

Thor Wiegman
Operator of N7JCT
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2002, 11:36:33 PM »

I have to agree with many posts here.

First off i agree fully that removing the QST from newsstand access is probably a bad idea, although i am a member and you can actually get the magazine via membership cheaper than purchasing monthly from a newsstand it will however affect the casual magazine browser who comes across QST and wonders about the hobby.  It is already getting harder than heck to interest any non ham friends to get into the hobby.

I also have to agree that even though i like reading QST for the reviews and projects and some of the monthly articles, the ARRL seems to only care about some hams rather than the majority.  They take views that are outdated and can only serve to cause harm to the hobby.  What am i talking about on this you might ask?  I am talking about how the CW requirement is going to be removed at WRC-2003, and how the ARRL is bitchin' that each country should be able to choose if they want to eliminate it or not, so far only the ARRL has voted against the removal of the CW requirement and the ARRL is the only organization that has been pushing the FCC hard on keeping the requirement for US hams.  Have you ever seen any information or propaganda for the removal of the CW requirement published in QST??  Didn't think so.

The ARRL if it were not for it's publication of QST would not get any of my money.  How many times i have written to the correspondence column to be rejected i can't remember or count.  Mainly because i write in response to articles in QST about how they want to keep the CW requirement, and my views are anti-CW.

Has anyone tried to interest a friend into the hobby only to hear this:

"I have to learn what? to get a license to operate on HF.  Your crazy, that's what the internet is for."

Case Closed.

Scott, KBØNLY

www.qsl.net/kb0nly

KD7KGX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2002, 01:41:35 AM »

I don't have a problem with the ARRL's view on the topic of keeping a CW test for HF hams (General and above).

However, the ARRL has changed its position on this... they used to be against it and now they don't have a position pro or con.

Re the ARRL being only for 'elite' hams (whatever that means), I think the problem with amateur radio is not the ARRL... it's hams.

Do you want to know how to make ham radio more popular?  Disallow mail order of ham radios and offer local ham radio stores protected territories.  It will cost us hams a little more to buy a new rig, but that extra money goes to fund keeping that local store open so that people who aren't in the hobby have a place they can go and ask questions, play with radios, etc.

Of course, this will never happen.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2002, 10:40:44 PM »

Hi,
    I voiced my disappointment in the decision about pulling QST to the ARRL representative at a recent Conference; that information once in QST was being moved to the Members only portion of their Web site, and QST itself was no longer available to non-members.
     I feel this is a very poor decision on the part of the ARRL, and removes a very visible part of Amateur Radio from the public, especially since many bookstores and magazine stands stopped carrying CQ and (I hate to mention it; too many non-ham editorials-  IMHO! ) 73.  Unfortunately, Ham Radio Magazine is now extinct.
    However, please bear in mind that QST is available in many public libraries!  Check with your library and those in surrounding communities.  You will probably find a library that indeed has a subscription.  And if not, get enough of your friends together to REQUEST it.  Even if a few amateurs have to get together to "donate" a library copy.  It shouldn't be too expensive!
Larry WA9SVD

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2002, 01:06:41 PM »

As far as I'm concerned the ARRL can get rid of QST magazine.  Every issue I have seen in the last 20 years was a disappointment.  The mag is full of crap I could not care less about.  The reviews are done so that no advertiser will be offended, the technical articles are sparse, I don't think most of the ads have changed in years and ARE BORING  to look at, ect.. I can find much more interesting things to look at on the web.  There are tons of sites put up by ordinary hams who have at least some interesting stuff to look at. All of the ARRL's publications are designed to bring in funds.  They are the biggest publisher of ham literature and none of it is very current. The ARRL tends to milk the same content for decades.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: