Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustler Super rm80s antenna???  (Read 2320 times)
EZAT

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2002, 07:55:47 AM »

Hey guys,

New to amateur radio.  Anyone know what these antennas are?  I can get my hands on one.  Purchased a TS430s Kenwood. Passed my fullcall theory exam.  Wanting to do the morse to pass everything.

Any help appreciated!

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2002, 08:30:20 AM »

The RM80S is the "super" or high power version of the RM80, but the fact is, it's not as good as the standard one. This is because of its rather large metal endcaps with reduce the Q to about 40 or so. When mounted on a Hustler mast, they are about 7 feet long and work soso when comparied to some other types available.

If it's free, you're in luck, if not, don't pay too much certainly not more than $25 or so.

Alan, KØBG

EZAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 01:38:13 AM »

Thanks Alan,

They are actually brand new in the box.  Never opened or used.

Im in australia and he is asking for 100 dollars each..

about 50 u.s.

Sounds reasonable?Huh

thanks!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 05:30:49 PM »

$50 US is not very reasonable for the RM80S.  The going price in the States is lower than that, over the counter.

$25 would be a good price.

Unless, that is, you mean the RM80S with the foldover mast, like the Hustler MO-2 -- then, $50 would be a good price.  But for the resonator alone, no.

WB2WIK/6
EZAT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2002, 01:36:40 AM »

Actually i have bought this.  It was brand new in the box.  

It is the full antenna not just the resonator.  Has 10mtr, 15mtr, 20mtr, 30mtr, 75mtr,80mtr traps.  

Brand new for $50.00 u.s
100.00 australian.

EZAT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2002, 01:37:51 AM »

Oops.

Sorry guys,

it was  a Hustler 5btv vertical antenna.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2002, 08:25:35 AM »

Sobeit! If it was in a box new, you got a bargain. If you put enough radials under it, it'll work well.

Alan, KØBG

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2002, 11:08:28 AM »

If that's really a 5BTV, it should not have a 30m trap at all.  If you got a 30m trap, sounds like it's really a 6BTV, and if you got it brand new for $50 US, that's a great deal, because it's normally $199 or so here.

Good luck, and hope to hear you on the air!

Steve, WB2WIK/6
EZAT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2002, 04:37:48 AM »

Thanks Steve,

Do you own one of these antennas?  Ive put it together and the length of it doesnt look to b stable in the wind.  Any ideas how to guy this thing to keep it stable?

thanks
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2002, 12:40:45 PM »

EZAT: Yes, I have one.

Photos of its installation are posted right here on eHam.net, in this article:

http://www.eham.net/articles/4148

As you can see, I have not guyed it.  However, guys are a pretty good idea, especially if you're in a high-wind region.

I thought you said the one you purchased was brand new, in the carton.  If so, you should have the Hustler instructions that came with it, and in the instructions they do recommend guying the antenna using non-conductive (rope) guys attached just above the 20 meter trap.

Steve, WB2WIK/6
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2002, 12:40:57 PM »

EZAT: Yes, I have one.

Photos of its installation are posted right here on eHam.net, in this article:

http://www.eham.net/articles/4148

As you can see, I have not guyed it.  However, guys are a pretty good idea, especially if you're in a high-wind region.

I thought you said the one you purchased was brand new, in the carton.  If so, you should have the Hustler instructions that came with it, and in the instructions they do recommend guying the antenna using non-conductive (rope) guys attached just above the 20 meter trap.

Steve, WB2WIK/6
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2002, 03:27:22 PM »

I have one ground mounted with no radials (clay soil here) and it works well. I have it guyed at just above the spike ring about 18 feet up with 3 1/8 inch or so so I didn't guy it tight but it limits the movement to a little wiggle.

I love this antenna, I use it with a tuner and load up on any band I want.. the 5bvt (or the 6bvt or the 4bvt) are made by hustler, the 80 meter resonator is actually the resonator off the mobile hi power antenna and it does a great job for me.. 73  tom N6AJR
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2002, 06:40:19 PM »

I have used a 5BTV for over 20 years without ever guying it. It has ridden out some pretty stiff winds as high as 80 MPH. It has swayed a lot but never broken. That is my story but in your locale you may have a different problem depending on how the winds are routed around or past the antenna. If the winds are pretty straighline and have no turbulence due to buildings or trees, you may have no problems at all. My suggestion? Put it up and see how it is affected by wind patterns where you are. If it seems to sway excessively or makes you uncomforatble, guy it off. It will never hurt to guy it and could hurt it if you don't.
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: