Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Novice record?  (Read 582 times)
KA5AQP

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2003, 09:04:24 AM »

I was a Novice for 24 years and 5 months before upgrading.  Anyone longer than that?
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2003, 09:26:12 PM »

Well, Walter Cronkite is a Novice and
has an early KB2 call if anyone knows
when they were issued.

73 de Ronnie

KA5AQP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2003, 06:01:08 PM »

When I got my ticket they were just starting the current type of call sign sequence, so I would assume Walter's KB2 to be later.  Just a guess.
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 05:58:35 AM »

I really think you need to find a life and upgrade to
at least a General Class but I suppose that would
require some effort on your part. Being a Novice for
that period of time tells us a lot about you.
Especially , that we don't want to know more.
- Tim
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2003, 09:58:21 PM »

WHOA!  Chill out, guy(s)!  SO the fellow was a long term Novice.  That might simply mean he had other priorities (work, FAMILY, etc.) that prevented him from  devoting time to Amateur Radio.  (At least he kept his license current!)  Or maybe he was satisfied with Novice privileges.  He's now a Tech (actually, Tech Plus) and that's nothing to be ashamed of, either!  I was a Tech for 35 years, before upgrading, simply because I was satisfied with operating on VHF, and had no great desire to operate on HF.  Now as an Extra, I still operate more VHF SSB (6M and above) than HF.  IMHO, weak signal VHF is a lot more fun, and requires more skill than HF operations.  I'll take a good 6M opening over all the HF bands combined, ANYTIME.  Of course, your mileage may vary.
KA5AQP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 04:51:56 PM »

Wow! Thanks for your kind response Tim.  If you were a motorcylist like myself you would be what we call one of the 1%ers.  Meaning you are one of the 1 out of 100 that are creeps and gives the other 99 a bad reputation.  That said, the next responder hit the nail on the head.  I got my Novice ticket in 1978 and loved haming.  I WAS in less than 2 months. Then work, family, the usual stuff drug me away.  I recently retired and decided to get back on the radio.  I passed my Technician on Jan 4 (I only missed 1 out of 35, so I'm not completely stupid, Tim.)  I am having a ball talking SSB on 10 meters!  Further, I WILL take and PASS the General exam on Feb 3.  Please understand that I am doing this solely to meet Tim's high standards of excellence for ham radio operators.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2003, 07:22:21 PM »

Keep at it, Robert. I was a tech for a while (not 25 years) and upgraded when I felt I WANTED to, not to meet someone else's expectations of what THEY thought I should do. I haven't felt the desire to become an extra either because I never felt the extra 25Khz of band was worth the hassle of 20WPM code. Each to his own music, if the others don't like your step; tough. Good luck on Feb 3rd.
Frank
KL7IPV
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2003, 01:33:43 PM »

Don't upgrade just to look good in the eyes of Tim back there. (He probably won't be impressed even after you do pass.)

Do it because YOU want to. There's no other reason you should need.

Having said that, I do encourage you to shoot for the  General class so that you can fully enjoy all of the different bands and modes. But heck, I know many hams who are having such a blast on VHF and up they don't feel a need to upgrade. To each his own.
KG4VGH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 02:15:12 PM »

Wow   Tim.....
I pray you have a good day in spite of yourself....
That was totally uncalled for and down right mean....
Please, take your medication and try to relax....
Pete
KA5AQP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2003, 01:21:32 PM »

Okay, Tim.  You may now address me as "General Bob".  Satisfied?
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2003, 11:45:26 PM »

Congratulations, "General Bob!"
    Good work on the upgrade.  And if you see fit, work up to the Extra someday.  But do it for YOUR personal satisfaction!
    I made Extra last August, and although I work more HF now than I did as a General, (I work a club station at least one day a week) I have made a conscious effort to stay within the General portion of the bands.  I upgraded for MY personal satisfaction, not the extra few kilohertz.  And if it weren't for the club operation, I probably would have stayed a General.  To each his own.  Just don't let anyone force you into anything.  And most of all, ENJOY your new privileges!  I hope to meet you on the air sometime.

Larry WA9SVD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: