Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your opinion of HF digital voice communications  (Read 622 times)
N6HBJ

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2003, 04:19:24 AM »

I read Feb CQ and they had an article about the first transatlantic digital voice QSO. Software will be avaliable this year.

The communication had "noise free, FM like reception" and audio quality was roughly that of a "conventional telephone circuit."

I enjoy HF the way it is with all the noise and such. I realize it is somewhat archaic but that is what makes HF fun to me. I would notlike to see the day come when we all use HF like a telephone. Heck, we can do that now with the internet. Why bother?

I enjoy noise free vhf/uhf FM but to me HF is the "soul" of ham radio.That good old hiss coming from the radio on late nights or weekends is soothing to me. I hope it stays that way.

I think a good idea would be to have certain frequencies for digital for those who want to use it, kinda like now with psk or SSTV.

What is your opinion?

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 10:28:25 PM »

The quality of a conventional telephone circuit is nothing to brag about.  It's communication quality also.  

If digital can can reduce some of the noise, or more importantly improve the signal to noise ratio, then it has promise.  ("You're 5X1, arm chair copy")
    It still remains to be seen how digital will be implemented "for the rest of us."  If it means buying new equipment, it will be a very SLOW process.  But alalog will always be present, at least for the forseeable future.
N6HBJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 12:32:22 AM »

Well, they are coming out with software this year so you will be able to use it with current equipment. It is one thing to reduce noise but according to the article there was NO noise at all (like talking on 2 mtr FM).
 I guess if one's ultimate goal is simply perfect communications then one will be happy. But I enjoy the good old hiss and static of HF (within reason of course). It brings back fond memories of exploring shortwave radio as a kid.
 Perhaps they should set aside certain frequencies specifically for digital voice for those who choose to use it.
 Lets not sterilize this hobby in the name of progress.  

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2003, 01:22:29 PM »

Hi Mike,
    I understand your point.  I'm an inveterate VHF weak-signal man at heart.  But if it will reduce interference(BIG ? there!) and allow for better communication, then I'd say go for it if you wish.  And if it doesn't take up any more bandwidth than regular SSB, I'd think it could co-exist with our current voice frequencies.  (Try to find a clear frequency on 20M on a Saturday morning...)

I think it will be interesting to see how the mode functions once it becomes available for the "rest of us."  It DOES involve an additional amount of hardware (the computer with sound card) so it won't replace analog voice anytime soon.  (Maybe it will be built into future rigs, such as the TNC's in some rigs now?)
    It's the Amateur traditio0n to experiment and advance the "state of the art"  so we should at least give it a chance.
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2003, 08:22:47 PM »

The proposed digital audio (SSB, AM, etc.) standard for amateur HF applications below 30 MHz is presented in Jan/Feb 2003 QEX. It's a PDF file up on the ARRL site.
Pete

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/x0301049.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: