Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Business Idea  (Read 336 times)
KB6NU

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2003, 08:07:31 PM »

I recently had to build a bunch of cables for my EchoLink project. To build these cables, I had to find sources for the connectors--including a semi-oddball 8-pin mike connector for my Icom--and then wire it all up. The wiring wasn't a real problem, but running around for the plugs was kind of a pain.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a website that not only carried the connectors, but would also build the cables for you? Being a website developer, I got to thinking about how to go about doing this. It shouldn't be too difficult to write a web application that would let a ham choose the connectors he or she wants, the type of wire that the cable will use, and then specify the wire list for the cable.

Once the ham has entered that info, the website would calculate a price based on the cost of the connectors and an estimate of how long it would take to actually build the cable and give the ham a quote. The ham could then proceed to a checkout screen, where he or she could input a credit card number.

Once the card has been verified, the website would transmit the information to someone who would actually build and ship the cable. I suppose I could also program the website to ship kits to hams that don't want to pay for the cable assembly. That would save them a few bucks, yet provide an easy way to purchase the cable and connectors they need.

So, what do you all think? Is this a service you might find yourself using? Or, is there perhaps a service like that out there already?

73!

Dan KB6NU
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 08:42:17 AM »

what? And ruin the essence of ham radio?

Actually, you're a bit late as there are several companies who do this sort of thing. Problem is, they are expensive and turn-around is not too good most of the time. Did I mention they are expensive?

I don't consider an Icom mic plug to be semi-oddball. A good-stocked Radio Shack will have them, as will Digi-key, Icom themselves, and who know who else.

Good thought, but....

Alan, KØBG

KB6NU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 12:37:39 PM »

Can you help me by giving me the names of the companies currently doing this?

As for the cables being expensive, well, yes, it will be expensive. Think of how much time one spends doing these things. Time = money. For those who have lots of time on their hands, this makes no sense, but I'd bet that others would be willing to pay the price rather than take (waste?) the time.

Thanks!

Dan KB6NU
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 01:14:06 PM »

MFJ has such a vast selection of such cables off-the-shelf and at low prices, that I can't imagine anyone could easily compete.

If you go to MFJ's website http://www.mfjenterprises.com, click on the on-line catalog, and then click on "cables," you'll see a very long list of interseries cables for connecting almost anything to almost anything amateur radio related, including all the popular mike and accessory plug configurations for rigs and accessories.  They're all pre-made, and they're inexpensive.

They seem to stock all of them (or at least any time I asked, they had it).

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: