Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-706mk2G - Unable to read SWR meter  (Read 1133 times)
AE20

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2003, 10:27:48 PM »

I just got an Icom 706MK2G and can't get the SWR meter to work, G2 menu in the F-3 function. Even with sufficient power.  I tried every band with no luck.  Suggestions appreciated, I am getting very frustrated!!!
N3UTG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 09:55:39 AM »

ARE YOU CHECKING THE SWR IN THE AM OR FM MODE? YOU NEED SOME RF CARRIER IN ORDER TO CHECK THE SWR .
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 09:29:11 AM »

There are three serial selections; PO (Power Out), SWR, and ALC (Automatic Linearity Control). Set the mode to RTTY and make sure you connected to a load other than a dummy load. Key the mic and make sure you have a reading on the PO setting. Switch to SWR and rekey the mic. You should see some indication.

The SWR bridge in a 706 is intrinsic with the over-temp and ALC circuitry. In other words, if the rig is hot, or you are over driving an amp connected to the 706, any SWR reading you get is suspect, good or bad.

Alan, KØBG

AA8RF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 09:17:40 PM »

Per the other comments - if you are in SSB you will not get a reading unless you inject a tone. Go to am,fm, rtty - some mode that sends a steady carrier out.

-Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: