Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: resources for people interested in amateur radio  (Read 309 times)
KC9BUG

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2003, 02:56:19 PM »

I have been a ham for about a year now.  I have enjoyed the hobby very much.  I would have gotten in to amateur radio a number of years ago if I could have had access to  information about the basics of amateur radio and how to to get in touch with an elmer.  I searched the internet and found the information I needed to get my exam.  I was wondering if anyone thinks that a web page that had a form one could fill out to receive an information packet with basic information about the hobby, local testing sites, local clubs, and most importantly a local elmer that would help them get started? Do you think that it would be useful for recruiting new amateurs?
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 06:08:29 AM »

I see what you'd like to accomplish but having all the
right answers is usually associated with having the
right questions. It would be nice to go to one place
and find the answers but we have been taught from the
beginnings of education how to locate and process
information. When I go to "Google" and type in
"Amateur Radio" or "HAM Radio" I get several thousand
possible hits. Of course we know from experience
that they are not all related to the subject. Perhaps
a step by step description of "How to Become a HAM"
would be helpful, but here again, what question or
query would return this text ?
73 and keep thinking , new ideas are always needed.
Tim
N5CTI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 08:35:59 AM »

ARRL has a huge number of resources available for this purpose. Prospective Hams can start with the Welcome to Amateur Radio page at http://www.remote.arrl.org/hamradio.html, and then explore the site from there.

For printed materials, the ARRL catalog has quite an array of different publications. Those on the Help for Beginners page (http://www.arrl.org/catalog/index.php3?category=Help+for+Beginners) can be useful at describing what Hams can do, and there are some youth-targeted novels about Amateur Radio in their History/Adventure section (http://www.arrl.org/catalog/index.php3?category=History%2FAdventure). None of these printed materials are free, but they're not free for ARRL (or others) to produce, either.

There's so much involved in Amateur Radio that a relatively small pamphlet wouldn't go very far. The Welcome to Amateur Radio web page mentioned above probably comes the closest, but it doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.

I certainly appreciate your desire to share your enthusiasm for Amateur Radio with your friends. I have the same desire. I'm kind of a low-key guy anyway, so I just talk to folks about what I'm doing as a Ham so they're exposed to it, and if something interests them, they'll pursue it with me. If not, I'm not trying to twist their arms to do something they're not really interested in anyway.

Good luck!

Boyd / N5CTI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: