Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Killing a Spam Generator  (Read 714 times)
REMOVED_FORMER_AK1O_TONY

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2003, 09:53:01 PM »

After my spam message count started to approach 20 to 30 message per day, I decided to research the subject and discovered that spammers use 'bots that search the web for email addresses kept on public sites.  To fight this, the experts recommend changing your email address to a people-readable but not computer-readable address.  

For example if your address is bob@foobar.com, change it to something like "BOB (at) FOOBAR (dot) COM" on any public site that has your address.  I did this on the only two sites that had my address: The ARRL mail forwarding service and QRZ.com -- the result: spam almost instantly dropped to two messages per day! Alot of the spam I was receiving did have my call in the address, so the source was not too difficult to figure out but a solution eluded me until I read about this one.
AA8RF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 12:17:50 PM »

Great tip. Yahoo filters most spam mail but some still gets thru.

-Jim
N8CIA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 11:30:41 PM »

And for anyone who may use Microsoft Outlook (not Express), can get the free spam filter from www.cloudmark.com and it filters 90-95% of spam.  Great software.. I use it and my spam disappeared with little to no effort on my part.
RAD1OMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 08:10:43 PM »

interesting.... but I get spam at accounts that have been only recently activated or have never been used!
N8CIA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 11:31:19 PM »

It doesn't matter where the spam is from or anything.. This spam filter works completely as a collective with all the other members... IF a spam makes it through, you mark it as spam, that sends a small signature of the message back to a main server and if it gets marked as a spam so many times, it will not come through for ANYONE else...

No personally identifying information is sent to the main server, just a small code signature of the message...

http://www.cloudmark.com
W0MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 02:41:13 PM »

Another good anti-spam product for Outlook Express is "SpamKiller" by McAfee.  In addition to the normal spam filters, it imports your address list, so you are assured that e-mail from your friends are not suppressed.
Frank
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2003, 04:34:00 PM »

Another good program for bouncing back spam (yea, fill THEIR mailbox full!) is Mailwasher:

http://www.mailwasher.net

Also is a neat tool to look and see if messages have viruses on them. (Not a virus checker, but leaves the mail on the server while you look at particulars, such as who from and what attached, giving you the option to bounce and/or delete before it ever get on your machine!)
KE4IZA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2003, 07:56:11 PM »

I have stopped spam 100%.  NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use your email address for anything other than personal use.  Do not even use it to buy things.  It will most certainly be passed down the spam line.  I opened a hotmail account for just this purpose.  Whenever an email address is requested or required they get the hotmail account.  Needless to say the hotmail account gets hundreds of spam emails each week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: