Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Siltronix 1011c  (Read 2482 times)
TBENDER

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2003, 11:05:55 PM »

Hello. I have my dead grandpa's radio. I have no clue how to work it. I can turn it on, works I guess, but I can only hear faint voices once evert 20 minutes or so. i have no clue what any of the dials mean. Help would be appriciated! Just tell me what to set it to. Go to http://sonic.ucdavis.edu/siltronix/rs00004.html  
to see what the radio and dials look like. -Bender
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 02:15:43 PM »

This radio was made in the late 70s just before Swan (Siltronix) went out of business. Although sold as an amateur radio, it was designed as a CB rig. However, using it on 11 meters is illegal.

It is a passible 10 meter rig, but you'll need an amateur license to operate it. So with out one, regardless of where you operate (if you do), it could cost you more money than you can imagine.

Alan, KØBG

TBENDER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2003, 01:16:38 PM »

I know nothing about meters. Is that a choice that I can pick; to have 10 or 11?
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2003, 06:25:33 AM »

TBENDER,
Put an ad in your local newspaper and sell the 1011C
before you get into Federal Prison. Set the price
at $300.00 and dicker. This is really serious and you
don't have a clue. With all the terrorist and war
as the federal priority you will be in deep doo-doo
if you attempt to use this radio without the proper
licensing. Please take my advise.
Good luck,
Tim
WO8USA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2003, 08:29:54 AM »

Don't let people tell you you are going to jail!  Possession of this radio is not illegal.  But, without a license, you can't legally operate it.

Since you have the internet and found this site, you are obviously interested in doing the right thing.  I would search for and contact a local radio club.  They will help find the radio a good home and pass on its legacy.

If you want to sell it on eBay I am sure it will go quick.  Many consider the radio a classic collectors item.  I bet you can get $200-300 for it depending upon its condition.  Don't try to transmit on it, you may just blow it up.  An experienced operator can tune it up and evaluate it for you.

My opinion only,

Chris
TBENDER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 11:17:08 PM »

Thanks for your help. i think I will just hold on to it. It is one of he few things I got from my Grandpa. Thanks...TB
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 10:37:36 AM »

To clarify the above, by "operate" they mean transmit.  You can listen to anything, just leave the microphone disconnected in the box.  If you are interested in getting a license to transmit on the ham bands check out this website, www.arrl.org, and others such as www.QRZ.com that have links to information on how to become a ham.  Please understand that there are illegal operators out there, and most hams, while friendly and open to questions, are very sensitive to protecting our hobby from them.
10 meters is a ham band located between 28.0 and 29.7 MHz.  Check out http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html and click on "10m" to see what you can hear in various frequency subbands on your 1011c.  Although 10 meters is not very active right now due to declining sunspot numbers, you can still hear some interesting things.  Keep asking questions and learning and I'm sure you'll have fun with your radio.  Maybe you'll get a license and join us on the air.  
73 (best regards) from KT8K - Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: