Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Safety Grounding  (Read 346 times)
KB9SDS

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2003, 02:56:21 PM »

I live on the top floor of a 2 story apartment building with a flat roof. The Landlord has allowed me to put antennas on the roof. I have a dualbander vertical mounted on a tripod and mast. The problem is the roof is 30-40ft from the ground and so are my radios. I know running a ground wire from that distance can act as a antenna and cause problems with my nieghbors. If anyone has a suggestion on what to do I am all ears.

Dennis
KB9SDS
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 04:02:58 PM »

Without doing something extremely conspicuous, it will be difficult to achieve a "lightning ground" up there.

So, I'd assume that such are already in place, to the extent they need to be, for metallic vents, A/C systems, drainpipes and so forth.  I'd just bond my tripod well to conductive items already installed on the roof and hope for the best.  And, disconnect antennas during approaching thunderstorms or when you won't be around to disconnect them such as prolonged periods away from home.

Your antennas need no ground at all to function properly, the only reason to ground them is for EMP protection and avoidance.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: