Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the 147.435Mhz repeater in LA allowed to r  (Read 4378 times)
ALM0ST

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2002, 06:55:35 PM »

Since i am trying to get my lisence, i have been listening on my scanner. I have
found here in Los Angeles, alot of good 2meter repeaters. But, i also came
across the 147.435Mhz repeater. Is this allowed? I am having second thoughts about
joining amateur radio now. Is something being done about this?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 08:09:54 AM »

There has been a lot of press lately about the operation of this repeater, and others too. No matter what hobby one chooses, there are always some who choose to be "out of the norm". My personal mission statement addresses situations like this. It is: "Set the example, don't be one". Don't let the actions of a few deter you from becoming an amateur radio operator. We do, after all, need more good examples.

Alan, KØBG

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2002, 08:10:57 AM »

Accept that in any group there is a fringe element.  If you let them get to you, it would be like giving up driving your car at all because there are some drivers who behave badly.  Complain to the governing authorities (FCC, repeater coordination group, etc.), but keep on studying for your license.

DLTBGYD (Don't let the bas**rds get you down!)

Dennis - KG4RUL
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2002, 09:40:10 AM »

Actually, Dennis, that's "Illegitimi Non Carborundum"

Alan, KØBG

N6AYJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 11:58:21 AM »

A better question would be, "Why can't you let the 147.432 people operate the way they want?"  If you don't like what you hear, spin the dial.  Nobody is forcing you to listen.  Also, you should learn to spell before you get your license.  We have enough illiterate hams posting on here already.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2002, 02:02:58 PM »

What occurs on 147.435 has little to do with amateur radio.  It's just one frequency, on one band, and happens to be hearable with scanners in the L.A. area because it's installed up on Saddle Peak.  Before that, it was on Mt. Wilson, and could be widely heard, too -- and contained the same kind of carrying on you hear today.

So what?

I'd recommend you don't listen.  I don't.  It's very easy.

WB2WIK/6
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2002, 10:31:03 PM »

N6AYJ, if you don't like someone’s spelling skills, why don't you "spin the dial" !!

I think your comments are uncalled for and would say, if you are a gentleman, owe "ALMOST" an apology.

Often, folks post on these forums and may not be to savvy with good ‘ol English.

We have three classes of Amateur radio; illiterate is not one of them.

Humbly,
Steve   kc8axj@arrl.net

KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2002, 01:29:58 AM »

Amen, Steve.
Frank
KL7IPV
ANULLRETENTIVE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2002, 10:41:42 PM »

Apparently N6AYJ can't spell either, or has a short term memory deficit to go along with his anti-social personality disorder. The original post was questioning the antics on 147.435, not 147.432 as little Billy Crow-well, the poor speller, typed in his reply. Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house Billy boy. Hahahahaha......Choke...snort!
N0XE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2003, 02:16:52 PM »

I think he had a valid concern. Ok, guess we just spin the dial and not worry about anything?  Well why have any rules? Who needs the FCC, ARRL, or anyone else for that matter?  I thought is was a hobby and a service, maybe I am wrong. I have sure enjoyed Amateur Radio over the years but I also do not enjoy hearing some of the things that go on not only on VHF but HF as well. I guess if they are operating under the rules or not it should not matter, just as long as I can turn my rig off. I think his point is a small crack in a dam, can soon lead to the dam failing. LA is not the only city that has problems. I have seen it on many repeaters, some are much worse then others and HF has it's moments as well. Boy I hope I spelled everything correctly, probably not but if I get slammed, then let it be. I was rather surprised on a few responses to his question. I hope he gets his license and yes lead by example.
73 N0XE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: