Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Full CW privileges for advanced class licensees?  (Read 941 times)
KQ6YF

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2003, 05:44:03 PM »

If someone hasn't done so already, I'm contemplating a petition to the FCC to have them grant us advanced class types full extra class CW privileges. We advanced class types already have the requisite skills to make fruitful use of the CW subbands currently reserved for extra class licensees.

I am NOT talking about the phone sub-bands. This is NOT a blanket "granfathering" proposal. Phone subbands would remain untouched by any proposal that I would make.

Comments?

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 09:05:24 AM »

Why don't you just bone up and take the test?

Alan, KØBG

N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 09:18:31 AM »

Sounds very reasonable, I see no harm , who would object ?
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 02:30:29 PM »

I presume you mean the segments reserved for those of
us who have sat for and passed the Amateur Extra
Class exam.   No, get the privledges the ole fashioned way EARN IT!!!

The Incentive Licensin' ( back in 67
or 68, can't remember, I was in the Army then)
was the best thing that ever happened.
I would still be a General, if not for it.

Now we have Disincentive Licensin', this
has gotta stop.  I don't think we can changed what
has happened, but we sure don't need any more of it.

73 de Ronnie
W9SN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 08:53:01 PM »

I have to agree with "earning it".  If you would just bone up and pass it, then it would truely mean more to you anyway.  Remember the people who buy their kids their first car?  How well did they take care of it?  But those like me that had to earn a car REALLY took care of it.  I stess this: if you study and work, and pass it, then you will be more pleased with yourself for years and years.  I failed my advanced ticket 4 times and failed the extra one time.  After grinding it out...I am so proud now that nobody gave me anything! Please understand, that those like me that have earned it don't want others to not enjoy the benifits....just do it like we did....good luck and we are here to help....!!
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 05:03:40 PM »

About half the Extra test is stuff you had to know to get your Advanced. Study up a bit on the rest, take some sample exams, you might just be able to pass it, and then you won't have to worry about taking any more ham radio tests.

Funny, most Advanced guys like to stay right where they are with their "unique" ticket that nobody can get anymore. Sets them apart from the rest of the bunch.

N3IZN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 02:35:04 PM »

I can’t decide on this one. I, like Bart, hold the Advance class license, I’m torn between taking a watered down written test to get a little more spectrum and keeping the Advance class license.

Unfortunately the old fashion way of “earning it” doesn’t exist anymore in a lot of peoples mind. On the lower bands 5 WPM Extras are treated like no-code techs were on 2 meters when it first came out. That attitude will eventually change but for now I’ll keep my Advance class license.
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 05:55:55 PM »

Although I agree on the one hand that earning it is the best way to go, I also find it silly that a 5 wpm Extra can use the CW subbands while someone who had to pass 13 wpm cannot! This makes NO sense! I too am an Advanced and I personally am not too fond of CW, but this strange ruling baffles me. Im sure the FCC would agree that an Advanced or General who passed the 13 wpm test before the rule change should in fact be qualified to work the lower portions of the CW bands. But,its up to the FCC to make the rules, all I can do is follow them. I suppose if I were more into CW this would bother me, but I certainly wont lose any sleep over it.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2003, 12:39:58 PM »

The Extra only portions of the CW bands (and voice bands) are simply a reward for the additional steps, whatever they may be at the time, to earn that higher class license.  Once upon a time that included a more stringent CW requirement plus a written test of modest difficulty. Now it is a killer written test (i.e. combining the material from the old Advanced and Extra tests).

The person who passes the current Extra test is rewarded with both additional voice & CW spectrum.  I see no problem with this.

Actually I know a fair number of Generals & Advanced operators that can whiz along at code speeds well in excess of the 20wpm that used to be required for Extra.  Some did not want to upgrade and some did not not want to tackle the more difficult technical material found on the old Advanced test or the current Extra test.

W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2003, 05:38:08 PM »

Go study and pass the extra exam.

I don't know if this site has a practice exam or not, I did "mine" on QRZ.  Unfortunately, the FCC lowered the code speed just weeks before I took my test, so I'm a "low code" extra.

AND QUIT BOTHERING the FCC for every little thing.

(I'm surprised Riley hasn't said something about all these stupid petitions.)  
ADVANCED

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2003, 06:03:18 PM »

All you have to do is to pass the Extra exam and you can get the Extra privledges.  I know that some Advanced class hams that want to keep their class because they think it shows that they are an old timer and not just some Extra lite.  But the fact is that most of them couldn't pass the Extra exam or code requirment back then.  Now they want to keep the Advanced call but get the Extra privledges.  Well, you can't have your cake and eat it too, so decide if you want the Advanced call or the Extra space!  But please just stop complaining!
K6TBR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 03:56:40 PM »

Though not at all easy, I didn't find the Extra exam one that took more than two or three weeks of concentrated effort to study for.  Most hams can, and have, at some point, spent weeks, if not months, troubleshooting a nagging problem with their station until the solution was discovered.  Surely the problem of "narrow CW spectrum" could be solved with the same dedication!

73 ES GL
W5ALT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003, 06:03:23 PM »

Take the exam!

I don't know when you got your Advanced, but I took my Advanced exam before the FCC back in about 1971 or so. In comparison, the current Extra exam is a piece of cake. Back then you really had to know something to pass the Advanced written.

Those who say that the current Extra is hard haven't seen a hard test! I would favor a petition that gives those who held the Advanced or Extra taken before the FCC extra privledges beyond the current watered down, requirements.

Note that this is not a flame against anyone who took the exams in effect at the time they passed them. We don't make the rules or choose the exams. We alljust passed the exams in effect at the time.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2003, 06:10:50 PM »

Walt,
    I understand and respect your opinion, but the current EXTRA exam is anything but easy.  It includes the old Advanced license material AS WELL AS the Extra Class material.  There's no longer a step-wise advancement from General to Advanced to Extra.  I doubt anyone who doesn't have an understanding of the material can guess or memorize their way through the current Extra exam.  (After all, there ARE 800 questions in the pool; few people could memorize that many answers!)
    But we have to take the exams as the FCC dictates, and the requirements for licensing change with time.
W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 11:47:28 AM »

I doubt if KQ6YF stands a chance based on the argument he presents.  General class licensees previously had to pass the 13 wpm test, too.  The time for some form of grandfather exception has long passed.  

Maybe there is a bigger issue that should be addressed.  Morse Code is an endangered species. While the amateur community is divided about personal preference toward code, there seems to be unanimous agreement it should always be part of ham radio.

How about an initiative to assign the bottom 25 or 50 kHz of some or all bands exclusively to the preservation of CW?  Isn't this more important than who has what license class or who passed which speed test? Incentive licensing divides amateur radio but CW enthusiasts don't need division, we need solidarity.

I for one would gladly give up exclusive Extra access to the bottom 25 kHz in exchange for a more robust CW sub band.

73, Mike W8MW
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: