Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: license plates  (Read 479 times)
KL7IPV

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2003, 11:32:56 PM »

A few years back, a ham asked for other's ham license plates to be used in a display of license plates that would be used in a traveling display. I sent two and he chose one for inclusion in the display group. Now that ham is selling the display group with all the license plates. My question is; since I sent the plates understanding they would be used as part of a display, do I retain any right to those plates to prohibit them for sale to profit the person to whom they were given for display? What if I do not want my call plates sold for profit by anyone else. Do I have a right to request the return of the plates before the sale of the total group?
Frank
KL7IPV
ab9ps

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 02:10:20 PM »

Probably not in the legal sense, but you could ask.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 03:20:30 PM »

Some states, South Carolina for one, require the surrender of your call letter plates to the state if ownership is transferred to a non-ham.  Check to see if you even had the legal right to have them in your possession let alone give them away?
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 01:50:26 AM »

I have the right to transfer them to a non-ham as the plate design is no longer valid and it has not renewed and/or removed from the vehicle.
Frank
KL7IPV
K8LEA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 10:30:48 PM »

Frank:

In some states the plate goes with the car, not the owner.... That's the reason for the "right to transfer" question....

I'd say that you've been handled, but there's no recourse.  If you can establish some value and prove that some kind of contract to return the plates exists, then you might have something to talk to your attorney about.

Otherwise, I'd hope that the collection stays together....

Stu.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 11:21:23 PM »

I wouldn't say I've been "handled" since it has been a number of years since I donated the plates. I just wondered since I donated them thinking they would be part of a permanent collection and not resold. I don't plan on doing anything more about this, but I won't be donating any more plates to "collectors" any time soon.
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: