Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warranty EBAY radio ??  (Read 488 times)
K7GRC

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2003, 12:43:26 AM »

A question,
I sold a VX-5r on ebay over 2 months ago. The buyer sent me email today, he says the radio never worked from day one. He has been spending the last 2 months debugging the radio. Long story short he wants his money back.
I know some radio shops give a 30-90 warranty on their goods, but should I. I know the radio was working when I sold it.

Part of the story is I listed the radio in good working condition. As most VX-5r owners know they had a problem with the sma connecter coming loose. This radio had been repaired by a previous owner, and worked like new after the repair. I did'nt mention this repair work in the ebay ad, mainly because the radio was working great.

any feedback would be appriciated.
thanks
k7grc
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 01:14:37 AM »

I have bought and sold on e-Bay. I find the most e-Bayers will not guarantee a radio after sold because some buyers have taken the radio that worked and stripped parts from it to fix one of theirs that did NOT work. Then they complained the radio they bought would not function. If you said the radio worked and made no warranty as to the return of a dead radio or similar guarantee, I would say you aren't bound to take a return. You risk getting a negative fedback but if you don't care that shouldn't make a difference to you. If you use e-Bay regularly and care about the feedback, than the choice is up to you as to whether you want to take it back or not. I don't know how you'll handle it if you find the buyer has taken a part out and returns you a radio that differs from what you sent them. Good luck.
Frank
KL7IPV
KE6PKJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 02:49:24 AM »

I would say no way. Something smells here, 2 months is a long time from date of receipt until his first communication with you. Common sense would say that if it didn't work right off the bat, then a follow up email telling you somethings wrong would've been in order. After 2 months though, it's contrary to reasonable expectations. I've ebayed hundreds of items and only on a couple of occasions have I run into users and social malcontents like these.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 02:37:32 PM »

Although I don't conduct business on eBay, I do conduct lots of mail-order business and always include a "claim adjustment" card, so to speak.  It's a prepaid return postcard (costs all of a quarter), already addressed to me, stating

"ANY CLAIMS OF SHIPPING DAMAGE OR UNSERVICEABLE MERCHANDISE MUST BE MADE WITHIN 24 HOURS OF RECEIPT.  IF YOU BELIEVE THIS EQUIPMENT IS NOT OPERATING PROPERLY, MAIL THIS CARD IMMEDIATELY, WITH A BRIEF NOTATION OF THE SYMPTOMS SO WE MAY COME TO AN AGREABLE RESOLUTION.  SHIPPING DAMAGE CLAIMS SHOULD ALSO BE FILED DIRECTLY WITH THE CARRIER, AND ALSO WITHIN 24 HOURS.  IF YOU BELIEVE THIS MERCHANDISE SUFFERED SHIPPING DAMAGE, PLEASE RETAIN ALL THE ORIGINAL PACKING MATERIALS."

If the guy's not home for a week and somebody else received the merchandise, "oh well."

Two months is a very long time to report such a problem, and I would not accept such a claim after such a long time.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 12:27:45 AM »

hi,

You are under no obligation to take the radio back.

Perhaps he is not happy with the radio or needs
the money for something else.

If the buyer has left your feedback then that is it,
the deal is done.

73 james
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 12:57:08 AM »

If the buyer contacted you two DAYS after receiving the radio, it would be one thing, but to wait two MONTHS?  And you have no way of knowing what kind of "debugging" (read: damage) he has performed.  I'd politely say "Sorry, but not after two months."
    Then again, I guess that's the chance we all take when we buy from E-Bay, at a hamfest, etc. when we don't know the seller.
K2LES

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 12:14:25 AM »

Chances are he screwed around with the radio and broke it.  

Anyone who's sold enough items on eBay knows to put terms and conditions in the auction - with the bid being an indication that the buyer has read and understands your terms.

I use the following:

*** PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BID ***

Questions:
  Please ask any questions about this item or these terms before you bid.  I am quick to respond.

Shipping:
  Winning bidder to pay shipping via USPS Priority Mail.  Shipping rates based on XX lbs from ZIP code 14464.  Foreign shipping - e-mail me with your complete postal address for quote.  Insurance and delivery confirmation extra if required.  I typically ship within 24-48 hours upon receipt of payment.  Rochester NY area bidders, please e-mail me to arrange pickup or delivery (if practical or convenient).

Speak
to me:
  Please notify me within 3 days upon completion of the auction with method of payment, shipping address and ZIP code so I can calculate shipping.  Please do NOT use eBay Checkout as it only confuses things. Ensure that the e-mail address you have registered with eBay is valid. I will not make phone calls or write letters to chase you down.

Warranty:
  While this item is sold AS-IS without ANY warranty, you will receive the item as described above.  All known defects, blemishes or problems are described.  My feedback speaks for itself.  Bid with confidence.

Payment:
  Payment must be received within 10 days upon completion of the auction.  I prefer PayPal, money orders, cashier or certified checks, and MasterCard/Visa (via PayPal), or money orders via BidPay.  I will gladly accept your personal check which must clear my bank prior to shipping (please allow 7-10 business days).  Personal checks returned for insufficient funds will not be redeposited, the auction must still be honored, a $30 service charge will be added to the auction.

Deadbeat
bidders:  
Do not bid if you do not intend to purchase.  Do not bid if you intend to pay with a personal check drawn against an account with insufficient funds (see above).  Deadbeat bidders will receive negative feedback and will be reported to eBay.  I reserve the right to reject bids from bidders with excessive negative feedback.

Ending auctions early:  I WILL NOT end this auction early!  DO NOT ask me to end the auction early!  Either use "Buy It Now" (if still active) or place your bid.

I always leave good feedback upon timely receipt of payment.  Please be a good eBayer and leave feedback for me upon delivery of your item!

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2003, 02:08:20 PM »

After being on eBay for 4 years, I quit.  It isn't worth the effort and grief.  If you leave someone negative feedback for a legit reason, you will get it back in retaliation. I have always had the theory that most people don't sell anything that is really good.  If its good, they will most likely keep it or sell it to a friend or someone close by.  Now that I don't use eBay, I seem to keep stuff much longer and spend less in the long run.  Constant buying, selling, rebuying gets expensive.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 11:29:36 PM »

I enjoy buying and selling on ebay.  I do ham gear and laptop computers.  I always use a disclaimer as "Item sold as is" or "no warrenty" and then sometimes I help any how, but only on the quick notification. I sold an amp to a guy for $500 and when it arrived it did not work, it seems the USPS broke a tube in transit, even though I sent them well packed and in a seperate box. He did not want insurance.  I had an extra 811 so I sent it to him free gratis. He said thanks, I slept better because I did the right thing, and we were all happy.  If he waited 2 months to tell me , then it becomes hi problem, and I would reply.  

"Item was sold as stasted in the add, after two months I feel no responsibility for condition of the equipment, because all you hve to do is hook the power up backwards and it becomes toast.  I wish you had contacted me 2 months ago.  " and then sign it and go on with your day.

I make sure to cover these details in my ad when I post on ebay, or here.

tom N6AJR
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 05:51:15 PM »

Well, I didn't sell junk when I used eBay. I sold items that were perfectly good and were surplus to me. When I sold them I described them exactly including any defects they had. That applied to everything and anything I offered for sale. I expected to get the same treatment in return if I bought anything. And guess what, so far that has been true. Maybe I am too trusting but it has worked for me to expect in return what I gave in the beginning. It may not work once, but that will be the exception and NOT the rule.  I try to deal that way with everyone I meet, either in person or thru the internet. I hope that the people I've met here feel the same. As a police officer I had a belief...I was there to help the 97% of people who were victims of people that comprised just 3% of the population. Maybe I have been lucky enough to have also avoided that lousy 3% on the internet.
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: