Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air travel with a HT  (Read 645 times)
VA3SLJ

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2003, 11:41:43 PM »

I need to make an emergency trip over the next couple of days, and would like to take my HT with me (in luggage, not as carry-on). Are there any special precautions, regulations, rules, etc., that I should know about? The airline website says nothing.

Thanks for your help,
Scott
VA3SLJ
KE6PKJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 12:13:09 AM »

I've flown all over the world with HT's and have never been asked anything regarding them. Just remember to bring your license just in case.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 02:34:40 PM »

Carry a copy of your license to be sure, but I'd suggest having the H-T in carry-on luggage rather than the check-in luggage.  You will have it with you if you need it.  Checkin luggage CAN be lost, stolen, or otherwise compromised in these days of "Homeland Security."  Just don't use the radio while aboard the airplane.  (But you CAN use it in the airport terminal.)
N8IWK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 01:45:51 PM »

A few years ago I was going through airport security and they simply asked me to demonstrate that the radio was actually functiong. They asked that I remove the battery pack and demonstrate that they were in fact batteries by proving that the radio would not work without them.
A bit odd, but I guess they were convinced that those round things in the pack were in fact batteries and not some sort of explosive devices.
And by all means do not operate the radio while in flight.

N8IWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 01:45:17 PM »

A few years ago I was going through airport security and they simply asked me to demonstrate that the radio was actually functiong. They asked that I remove the battery pack and demonstrate that they were in fact batteries by proving that the radio would not work without them.
A bit odd, but I guess they were convinced that those round things in the pack were in fact batteries and not some sort of explosive devices.

N8IWK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 01:40:44 PM »

VA3SLJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 03:16:53 PM »

Thanks for all the help. Everything went fine. When it came time to go through security, I removed the HT antenna and the battery (I didn't want an accidental transmission), and left the whole thing in my carry-on briefcase.

No one asked any questions.

Scott
VA3SLJ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 01:35:28 PM »

Once, I went through airport security packing a PRC-68a with whip and handset in my luggage. It took me 30 minutes to get through because the security guy who turned out to be a ham, kept calling all of his other security guy buddies over to see it and talk about how they used them in the Marines and asking me about how it worked on 6m. They didn't even look twice at the HTX-204 laying right next to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: