Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is used gear so expensive?  (Read 1223 times)
KG4OOA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2003, 10:21:14 PM »

KG4YBS,

If they are dumb enough to pay the seller's smart enough to take the profit.

Don't worry about why people do stupid things, just try to aviod being the one doing the stupid things.

If I knew that I could make the deal you described, I might buy a dozen to sell. With my luck I'd more than likely be stuck with a dozen radios who's value just dropped to half of what I'd paid for them. Hi Hi

Bob
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2003, 11:18:10 PM »

I will buy 3, 4 or 5 Vx150 when HRO has them on sale for $79.  I then turn around and sell them on Ebay, to licensed ham a week or two later for $100 to $125. This is their normal price. I have the ability to buy more than I need so I can sell them.  I enjoy buying and selling as much as I do operating. It is part of MY hobby.

tom N6AJR    ( all junk radio )
KB0OYA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2003, 01:35:23 PM »

What exactly are you looking for?  I have numerous items to sell.  

I have a Diawa SWR meter--new in box.  An Icom 575H rig that's perfect in shape--box, manuals, etc.  A 100w Ranger mobile transciever with the CB modification added (100 watts on this too)--box, manuals, etc.  I have a mobile antenna for the Ranger---a mag mount K1 whip cut to 1:1 for this rig.  I also have a GAP vertical antenna---all bands but 160m and 6m with an extra top cap capacitor---excellent condition (set-up less than 6 months---bought a Mosley beam). Non-smoker!!!

I haven't opted to go on e-Bay....yet.  So I'm flexible on prices and obviously not pressed to sell at any costs, if they don't sell for a while.  Nothing mis-represented, nothing hidden and nothing broken.  No disappointments--guaranteed.  I'm simply looking to sell some gear that I bought and don't now want or need.  If anything here interests you, call for prices and postage/shipping arrangements.

73-------STEVE, KB0OYA
KG4PZZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2003, 11:13:58 AM »

I think another reason used gear's prices are so high is because they compare favorably with new equipment.  Even though a radio is 10 years old, it's not so crazy to think of one selling for only a couple dollars less than a brand new radio.  The only comparison I can think of would be my old truck.  Sure, it doesn't have the modern "comfort" equipment like AC, power steering, automatic transmission, etc... but it's dependable and strong-running.  Kind of reminds me of the old Heathkit and Collins stuff.  Not all the wiz-bang features the new rigs offer, but when it breaks, you can fix it yourself.  People still pay good money for old cars, even if they're not restored or in excellent condition.  Newer machines -- both cars and radios -- are so chock-full of computers that many people are afraid to poke around in them.

What I'm getting at is just because it's old, doesn't mean it's "obsolete".  Spark-gap transmitters are obsolete, but a 1950's vintage Collin's isn't.

It comes down to what everybody else has been saying though.  It's all about how much somebody will pay for something.  How's the old saying go?  "A sucker's born every minute.", right?

Fred
KG4PZZ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: