Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RJ22 vs. RJ25 vs. RJ45  (Read 4238 times)
KD7HGK

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2003, 04:38:03 PM »

Hi all, I have never posted to this board before and was hoping you could help me out.  I have a Heil headset that I'm just dying to use.  The only problem is, the connector on the end of the adapter is an 8 pin RJ45 plug.  The connector that I need, however, is a 6 pin mini DIN RJ22 plug.  My current connector, the RJ45, is 2 pins too big.  I have already looked at the Bob Heil website and they do list an adapter that they say will work with the Yaesu FT100 but it is an 8 pin connector, not the 6 pin that I need.  My question is, does anybody know of a place, in MA or NH, like Radioshack that stocks RJ22's?  Also, what is the difference between an RJ22 and an RJ25? are they interchangeable? Thanks in advance for the replies.  I hope this is the right forum for this question.  If not, would the moderators be so kind as to move it to the proper location? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A. Smith, KD7HGK
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 11:50:49 AM »

I think you have your numbers exchanged. DINs of various sorts are not listed as RJs. The RJ series is a hold over from the old USOC numbering system.

RJ22, and RJ24 ar identical plugs; one wired with 2 and one with 4 wires and typically used as telephone liine cord connections. RJ25 is similar, but is actually smaller and used for handset interconnects. The RJ45 series (there are 7 configurations) and disignated by RJ43, RJ44, RJ 45, and RJ48 still in common use.

The Icom uses an 8 pin RJ45 but certainly is not wired like one. Heil sells units to match several different transceivers including the Icom 706 and the Yaesu FT100D. They are not interchangable, you'll need to make the conversion cable yourself.

A word of causion is in order. When installing RJ45 crimp on connectors it is VERY easy to wire backwards or place the wires in the wrong channel. If you interchange the wrong wires, you can burn up the regulator inside the 100D (or the 706). Be VERY careful if you install a new RJ45 on the existing unit.

By the way, I don't use my headset because it is just too hot for the 706. A "0" setting of the mic gain is off, and "1" is too much for the Heil headset.

Alan, KØBG

KD7HGK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 04:39:46 PM »

Thanks for the advice, Alan.  I really appreciate it.  The reason I ask this question is because of the reference to a 6 pin RJ22 plug on this page: http://www.westmountainradio.com/hmdwrtb/index.html.  Also, if you look at an instruction manual for a FT-100D, the microphone pinout shows six pins.  I am looking to get into digital modes and went looking for an interface.  When I saw the reference to the 6 pin RJ22 that got me to thinking about my Heil headset.  The plug it came with is too wide and I couldn't figure out what might be wrong until now.  If my thinking is correct, I may have gotten the wrong adapter.  Thank you for helping me.

Sincerely,

KD7HGK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 04:43:06 PM »

Thanks for the advice, Alan.  I really appreciate it.  The reason I ask this question is because of the reference to a 6 pin RJ22 plug on this page: http://www.westmountainradio.com/hmdwrtb/index.html.  Also, if you look at an instruction manual for a FT-100D, the microphone pinout shows six pins.  I am looking to get into digital modes and went looking for an interface.  When I saw the reference to the 6 pin RJ22 that got me to thinking about my Heil headset.  The plug it came with is too wide and I couldn't figure out what might be wrong until now.  Then, when I put "RJ22 6 pin connector" into the search feature on radioshack.com, I came up with a 6 pin RJ25 and was just wondering if they were compatible.  If my thinking is correct, I may have gotten the wrong adapter.  Thank you for helping me.

Sincerely,

KD7HGK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 04:44:51 PM »

darn! posted twice. ignore that first reply.
OBSERVER9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 11:29:39 AM »

Jon,
You can find all the crimp on plugs you need at www.partsexpress.com or www.mcmelectronics.com. The "RJ" stands for Registered Jack from the BellCore USOC BSP.
There are basically three common plastic crimp on plugs, the RJ11 handset, the RJ11 and the RJ45. The RJ11 can be a single pair up to three pairs and of course it changes the RJ designator... RJ11 being single line, RJ12 being two line... depends on the use at the time. The FT100 uses a "RJ22" but it can also be called a "RJ14" too, just as a 4 pair plug can be called a RJ31 to RJ48... it all depends on the USE AT THE TIME.

SO, if you call Parts Express, tell them you want the 6 conductor phone plug - unless you have a Motorola, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu (other than the FT100) etc and you need a 8 conductor phone plug - since the sales clerk may not equate conductors to "pairs".

You should also buy a crimp tool that matches the plugs you need.

A word of caution, some "RJ11" style plug are 4 conductor and some are six in the same configuration. I only stock 3 pair so I never have to look twice before I crimp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: