Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL Card sizes  (Read 988 times)
KD5TUF

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2003, 04:52:54 PM »

Hey all,

I have a question.  What is the standard size for a QSL card?  I just received my General ticket, and even though I don't have a HF rig yet, I want to get a QSL card made up.  I have a design that will let me personalize each card (mode/band/equipment/etc.) but I need to know what size to make it

Thanks
Jon
KD5TUF
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 09:33:59 PM »

Jon,
    The "traditional" size has been 3 1/2 inch by 5 1/2 inch (approx. 8.6 cm x 13.7 cm.)
    The advantage of keeping the card that size, is that many "display holders" will not accommodate a larger size card, and the nice thing is if you need to send a card, it will fit into a standard 3 5/8" x 6 1/2" (9.2 cm x 16.5 cm) envelope, a standard envelope size here in the U.S.  No need for oversized envelopes or folding up a business size envelope.
    I print my own cards on the computer at present; I use 4x6" card stock, but I've adjusted the image size so I can trim the cards to 3.5"x5.5".  It takes a bit more effort, but I feel it's worth it.

When I first got started in Amateur Radio in the mid 1960's, I never saw an "oversized" QSL card.

I think most Hams will appreciate a "traditional" sized QSL card, unless you are planning "certificates" for a special event station.
KD5TUF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 03:31:55 PM »

Larry,

Thanks for the reply.  I have resized the card to 3.5" X 5.5".  I'm impressed how a "small" QSL card can not only hold TONS of info, but look good as well.

Thanks again for the info
Jon
AG8A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 07:46:36 AM »

While most of us put the card in an envelope some do mail them.  There are certain postal regs that are in effect.

Minimum Piece Dimensions:  3.5x5 inches and must be a minimum of .007 inches thick

Maximum Postcard Dimensions:  4.25x6 inches still at the minimum of .007 inches thick.

Over this size the paper must be .009 inches thick and abide by a ratio rule for length times height.

The printer that prints them should know all this.  

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 09:03:43 PM »

I don't recommend sending QSL's as postcards, despite the slight cost savings.  The cards get bent, folded, spindled, and mutilated in the process, and often get a bar code routing stamp across an important part of the QSL card.  If it's worth sending, I use an envelope.  And if the other fellow sent a card in an envelope, he deserves the same courtesy. (I not only want to be proud that some station wants my card, but I weant that station to receive it in a condition worthy of display.)  IMHO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: