Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Modem Display  (Read 796 times)
AE4TR

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2003, 10:20:59 AM »

This does, and does not apply to ham radio per se.  I was wondering, if anyone knows of a method or program to make the computer display the modem action in the task bar?  For instance, when using IE the modem displays in the task bar, so you can see when its transmitting and/or receiving data.  But other browsers do not display this, such as wmconnect, the new version of earthlink and some others.  Any help would certainly be appreceiated.  Maybe some of you programmers will write such a program?  Many Thanks.  AE4TR  73s     email:  bennieh4@wmconnect.com  
N5CTI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 01:16:19 PM »

Later versions of Windows can display a connection icon in the system tray (right end of the taskbar, opposite end from the Start button). Displaying it is usually a matter of bringing up the properties for that connection and selecting an option that says something like "Show icon in notification area when connected."

Boyd / N5CTI
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 06:27:58 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but even Windows
95 has a "Connected" display in the lower right side
of the Taskbar. And you can tell by looking whether
the computer is sending or receiving. I guess I don't
understand the question.
73 - Tim
AE4TR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 12:17:23 PM »

This is true if you are using IE explorer to connect to the internet.  However some browsers Like WalMart connect, and Earthlink total access.. and maybe some others, do not have this feature in their browsers. They simply put an icon there for their browser, not for the modem.  I like to see what the modem is doing all the time.  (if you see it receiving data when it is supposed to be idle, there could be someone looking into your computer, and otherwise you would not know it)....
N5CTI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 12:47:25 PM »

The feature I'm talking about is a function of Windows, not Internet Explorer. The "network" icon with the computer screens that light up when your modem is sending/receiving is in the System Tray at the right end of the task bar.

Boyd / N5CTI
AE4TR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 02:29:52 PM »

Thanks to all who answered.  This is really good information, but does not solve the problem. Maybe I did'nt make myself too clear.. I'm good at that...What I'm looking for I guess is a program that will allow the modem to be seen in the task bar, whether or not it is being used.  Then when it is in use it would indicate tx and rx data.  Maybe this is too much to ask for, but I feel sure someone has an answer.  I'm not using a local network (LAN).  Also Walmart (cheap) and Earthlink (more expensive) have their own software so you don't have to make a connection yourself.  Well hope this clears up the subject a little.  Thanks to all, again.

Sorry about the double post before.  don't yet know how to delete the second one.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 09:21:01 PM »

hi,

If you can give us more info, like what isp etc,
what version of win o/s etc. that can help us.

Here is what you can do to get the modem status
icon to display on the task bar lower right of screen

click programs/accessories/communications/dial up networking

if you already have a dial up session saved you can
check the box for  display modem status

so when you are online the modem changes colors
to indicate data transfers.

73 james
AE4TR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 08:46:56 AM »

Again thanks to all who answered.  I have found the program I was talking about.  Its called a CONNECTION MONITOR.  Gives all kinds of info about the modem, it resides in the sys tray and indicates when the modem is transmitting and receiving data.  A search for connection monitor gives several options.  I guess its a matter of searching for the right thing.
KC9CTK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2003, 02:23:37 PM »

I have a Cable connection with XP and I still use the icon in the taskbar to show that it's working.  It gives me an extra reminder when its time to reset the modem if its not working right.

73 de KC9CTK.
DINOSAURCIO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2003, 02:36:09 AM »

AE4TR,

I totally understand what you mean, because I am using wmconnection as well. For those who does not understand. Let me explain a little bit. Ya, I know how to go to the
"My Network Places(Right click)
--> Properties --> Select Wal-Mart Connect Icon
--> Right click --> Properties"

nothing show up, which usually will show info. about the dial #, and with a check box at the bottom "Show icon in notification area when connected"

Win98 works fine, but not WinXP. I think there should be a way to do it other than using 3rd party software like CONNECTION MONITOR.
AE4TR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2003, 05:01:40 PM »

I see you also have wmconnect.  It works very well most of the time, for me, and cheap enough also.  The problem is, of course, that wmconnect is covering up the internet explorer page.  The modem icon is there, it's just covered up.  I contacted their engineers, for a solution, and all they said was, "It's not possible at this time".  So I use a third party modem program.  I like to see what my modem is doing, don't you?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: