Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Hams Chronic Complainers?  (Read 633 times)
WA9BXE

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2002, 07:00:19 AM »

I think, and I am not free of sin in this matter, we as a group complain about a lot of issues surrounding ham radio that should be accepted as part of the hobby.

We are perpetually mad at the manufacturers.  Name the company and I bet you will find a bunch of folks who will complain about something the company did or did not do (why is there audio monitor function on my NEW IC706MKIIG?).

We expect the manufacturers to give away the latest equipment at bargain prices.  But yet we
like to buy a well cared-for-previously-owned (OK, USED) radios and accessories (I bought several Dentron tuners from various lists).

We buy a piece of used gear but we expect the manufacturer to honor the warranty, even though many warranties state that they can not be transferred to someone other than the original purchaser (not guilty of this).

We loathe many retailers who don't keep everything in stock. And then we complain about their prices being high or it taking too long to get something that was out of stock (I was looking Heil headset for the 706).

We complain about the lack of ham manners but don't often take the time to be courteous to strangers (or even friends) who may stumble on to "our" frequency, repeater, net or whatever (not guilty).

We say we can’t grow our ranks but we complain about the lack of technical expertise (or the lack of CW skills) of the newly licensed people.  We ridicule them for being appliance op’s but we don’t instruct when we hear them going astray (another, not guilty).

And let's not forget our friends who run ham radio web sites and email lists.  We expect these services to be fancy and "there" all the time but we don't contribut to their financial support.  Have you ever priced what it takes to keep a server going 24/7 and a dedicated telecomm line? It is an investment (guilty - but the check is in the mail).

The list of perceived offenses (my opinion so please don’t hate me too badly) goes on and not worth repeating.  

So what will it take for us to not be perceived as whiners and complainers?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2002, 02:01:48 PM »

Charity begins at home.

Alan, KØBG

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 02:49:28 PM »

I can point you to any number of forums on a myriad of other topics and, you will find complaining.  Hams do not have a corner on this phenomenon.

Dennis - KG4RUL
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2002, 06:00:48 PM »

Oh well, this is an open society and a free market system.  We expect people to look at products and pricing carefully and expect to get the best and then demand more.  Its up to the manufactures to make a go of it under these conditions. Its the only way to get the best product for the best price.  Now if we can just get this level of critical thought (sometimes) and examination to our political process.
W4PTO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2002, 07:54:56 AM »

Chronic complainers? Overall, you bet! Even though we're still a slice of society, we hams tend to be more critical because of several inherent traits:

1) Most are technically astute individuals being absolutely anally fussy to minor details (engineers are perhaps the worst of the bunch). The will surgically rectal examine a piece of equipment they are considering buying (or have bought) and verbally "Class C amplify" its seemingly worst traits making the equipment seem like the crappiest piece of junk ever built (even though it isn't). A trip to the e-ham equipment comments section should show you this.

2) Some refuse to follow market prices on equipment (especially vintage stuff). I heard a ham the other day regretting that he refused to pay for Mailboxes, ETC mailing on a piece of Collins gear from Dayton to his home in CA. The total cost of all would have been less than something he would have to pay for from Ebay. Many also complain about Ebay's prices, lamenting that things have "shot throught the roof" in prices and that things at the flea markets and hamfests seem to be drying up. Oh well. If you can't stand looking through a web page and paying the asking price of what is auctioned off, turn of the computer.

3) Or, how about a lack of technical capability? Many blame the manufacturers for faults on equipment they would have otherwise found out the solution if they had bothered to read their manuals. I suspect it's because of "pushbutton/appliance operator" mentality that has now saturated the ham radio community.

Chronic complainers? In my book, a big "YUP!"
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2002, 06:04:38 PM »

I really try Not to complain, on the air and here on the Ham site as well.  I try to submit articles and add to topics like this in a positive manner.  We all have the ability to be good at something. If you can help a fellow (or sister) ham out with a suggestion, or a hand here and there then we all benefit.

Try to do the positive thing when you express your self.  Don't say that a blind ham can't help with the club business, say instead, lets see what this fellow can do to help us out, like call the role on the net, or be the guy that monitors the "base" when doing a club function, or call around and find the resturant for the next Saturday breakfast get together.

My Dad has gone from being hard of hearing to being totaly deaf (from when he served in the military). I used to talk with him by writing notes, but I have terrible hand writing. We have found that he and I can communicate quite well using email on the internet. He also uses the computer to order his new golf stuff, and manage his portfolio.  If ya' think about it, every one on the internet is deaf,  so it ain't much of a problem. In fact he has gotten better on the computer than me...hmmmm!

If you must complain, then please do it in a manner that can help others, not just to be destructive and petty.  I always try to remember that my mom may be hearing or reading what I wrote or said. I try to always talk and type where she would be proud, or at least not embarassed, by my conduct.  Try that for a while , it works. (and I'm well over 50 years old.)

73  tom N6AJR
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2002, 11:35:31 AM »

HUMAN BEINGS are chronic complainers, but I believe it is an acquired behavior because I learned it from my Mother and my Wife. Hey, a spade is a spade. The reality is that we just need to change what we have the ability to change, and learn to accept what we cannot change. First we have to learn to recognize the difference in those two things...not easy!  A big part of the problem is that one man's pisser is another man's pleasure. Such is life. Yeah, we complain too much. You got a problem with that?  Just kidding, trying to make a point, and that is...don't take life too seriously.  Many of us take ourselves and life way too seriously. Bend with the breeze, take a few deep breaths, relax, and everything will be fine. It ain't no thaing.
AE4TR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 11:56:40 AM »

>>learn to accept what we cannot change. <<
  We are complainers.  That's a fact, and we love to complain.  So why change that?  It's working, so accept it and leave it alone.  "Have a good day."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: