Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Meter on cruise liners  (Read 4039 times)
K5CRB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2003, 10:39:13 PM »

Most CB'ers make CB an annoyance but when you're in the middle of no where on the highway a CB is useful in emergencies. Any way,  the original poster said he planned on communication with other licensed family members, and that is a perfect use for low power 2m HT's.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2003, 12:08:19 AM »

The Part 97 rule also specifies that Amateur Radio Transmitters "not interfere" with a ships electronics.  So  a "physically, mechanically installed" radio would not be allowed if it caused interference to the ship's electronics or communications equipment.
  But some reason it would be OK if a handheld Amateur Radio DID interfere with the ships electronics or communucations, because it's not "installed" on the ship?  I think the operational and critical word here is "operate."  If you don't get the proper permission, you could be in a lot of trouble.  The Captain/Ships's Master/whomever is given the authority has the final say.  And they CAN rescind permission at any time, if they see fit.  

That doesn't mean you can't do your homework and find the company's official policy; if it says absolutely NOT, that's it.  Don't do it or suffer serious consequences.  If the line's policy is to leave it to the descretion of individual Captain/crew, or if it's not banned by policy, if you have that in writing, it gives you some room to discuss the matter with the Captain or whomever he designates as his representative in the matter.  AND, that decision is final.  Violate that, and you could be in for a world of hurt.  I certainly wouldn't take the chance, if my request was denied.

Also, the Cruise Line/Captain/whomever may have a different answer whether the ship is anchored in harbor vs. while under way.

I'd definitely re-contact the cruise line.  You at least deserve the courtesy of a reply.  
KB9YKY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2003, 02:03:33 AM »

No, k5crb, that is incorrect. The 2 meter amateur band is not "perfect" for family/personal communications. Amateur bands are for amateur radio use. The only "perfect" thing to use for that purpose is the radio services that are for that purpose...being class D "CB", MURS, GMRS, and FRS. This notion of getting whole families licensed for amateur radio...just to use it for "CB" type use has become quite common nowadays. That is one, of many, reason that I very, very rarely ever use repeaters or the FM channels. Just plain too much CBing there. As for an emergency on the road...CB radio is totally worthless for that. Use a cellphone or a sign that says "HELP".
KB9YKY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2003, 02:20:56 AM »

SVD is still wrong. It does NOT matter if it is or is NOT the cruise line's "policy". It ONLY matters what the Ship's Master says. Period. If the cruise line's "policy" says no, but the Captain says yes...then you may do it. If the line's "policy" says yes, and the Captain says no...you may not do it. And do NOT bother the little girls at the ticket office about this subject. They don't know and they don't care about CBs/walkie-talkies. Just ask the Captain (or one of his officers)...he is the ONLY one that can give you a "yes" or a "no".
VE3EMP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2003, 08:11:23 AM »

Essentially you will need the Vessel Masters permission to operate at a minimum. If the vessel is not a US/Canadian flagged vessel you may need to look at licensing information for the country the vessel is flagged under as that counries laws apply on board the vessel while underway.
   Coast Guard and their equivalents are generally exempted from this requirment as radio, weapons etc. are part of uniform and generally coast guard are useing a standard marine vhf radio.
   My suggestion would be to find out who handles public relations for the cruise line and start the process now. If you can obtain the Captains (Or his superiors) permission contact the embassy or consulate for the country the vessel is flagged under and ask what would be required (be prepared to hand over documentation). You would probably get further if you set this up as a DXpedition though. Look at doing some satelite work and open up some grid squares.

Jay Ritchie
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2003, 12:37:29 AM »

If the cruise line HAS a policy, the Captain/Ship's Master /whomever may not be aware because the matter hasn't been brought to his/her attention before, or they haven't had to decide the matter before.  A written copy of the cruise line's policy MAY give you some room for discussion.  And YES, the Captain's (or his designated officer's) decision IS FINAL.  Don't take a chance by not asking permission, and operating (or not operating) on the answer received.
N6YVY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2003, 12:44:41 AM »

Did I miss something or what rht agrees with Kb9yky then yky turns around and says rht doesn’t what he’s talking about. And yes rht’s call is as about as real as a unicorn.
Although there is  a SCOTT W MCKINNEY in seven land that holds a ham ticket . But of course he like yky is only a technician.

Yes yky I’m ready to flamed because I’m from So Cal because that’s what you seem to do best put people down!! But when your ready to meet on H.F. (10 m) let me know. Or do you need to upgrade to plus first?

Bob N6YVY
KG4PFO

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2003, 09:50:31 PM »

N6AJR, Very well put....my hat is off to you.
Eham needs many more such as yourself....
Keep up the good work!!!

KG4PFO
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2003, 02:59:44 PM »

Just ask the Captain (or one of his officers).
--------------------------------------------------

One of his officers?  That's not good enough!  You must ASK THE CAPTAIN!  (And let the Captain decide if he wishes to delegate the decision to a junior officer.)  If you ask just ANY officer (was he the Ship's Master, or a busboy in the restaurant?  He was wearing a uniform!)  and the Captain later determines there's a problem, you have NO legal standing.  You would be operating without permission.  The wisest thing is to do your homework, find the cruise line's policy, print it out, and present it with your request to the Captain of the ship, well in advance of sailing.  (Don't think he will want to talk to you two minutes before departure!)  If there's hesitation, a printed copy of the cruise line's policy MAY help.  (An initialed or signed copy by the Captain or his designated representative would be nice, as well as a great souvenier after the cruise!)  And if the Captain says no, that's IT.  NO means NO.
    And my point is to Amateur Radio operation in general, while aboard a ship.  I'm not arguing about the appropriateness of using Amateur Radio for whatever reason.  
KA0CLH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2003, 04:02:48 PM »

I can't believe kb9yky (and I use lower case as he is, by his actions, a person of small mind). I see you are a tech and a probably a no code though your description says you do code on 2 and 6. Please do stay off the repeaters as you don't know what ham radio is all about. You offend me with your attitude. Amateur radio is just that. FOR AMATURE USE. be that 2 meters and chatting with licensed armatures - even if they are family members(My wife is a ham also), and we use it to keep in touch. It's people like you who allow corporations to say they don't use the band so we should have it it. (like 220)
If you can't say something good, shut up, exercise your right to keep quiet. Please
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2003, 02:18:41 AM »

YKY,
    I have not resorted to name calling.  Why must you?  CAN'T YOU MAINTAIN A CIVIL ATTITUDE?

My point was how does a passenger know who is "an Officer of the ship (and what rank?)"  Is it anyone in a uniform?  And how does a passenger know WHICH officer might have the authority to approve or deny any request whether it's radio related or anything else.  It HAS to be the Captain or a person appointed by the Captain.
JOEMAMMA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2003, 03:04:38 AM »

Please excuse YKY's behaviour. He's not been right since the mule kicked him in the head as a youngster. With or without his medication he's always been argumentative and just plain old mean and nasty. He never had any friends as a child, girls shunned him in his teenage and later years, plus the military rejected him. Prison just seemed to make him angrier. He spent many many years as a CB'er until some trucker punched his lights out at a truck stop for attempting to "get to know him better", if you know what I mean.
 He's a conspiracy freak and doesn't handle the world well. He has a puritanical position of how things "should be", and this is whats causing his great angst and frustration.

Joe's Mamma
`KB9YKY

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2003, 03:23:44 AM »

Anyone wishing to "discuss" anything can call.
Here's the numbers from the FCC data base and public records.

Joe Mckenzie
FCC lists 2 addresses for KB9YKY,

1) 900 N Union Toulon Il. 61483
phone# (309)286-7300

2) 19202 N 900th E. rd Oakwood Il. 61858
phone# (217) 354-2548

KB9YKY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2003, 03:44:54 AM »

Kid, why don't YOU post some silliness about YOURSELF? Why do YOU hide behind aliases and lies? Why are YOU hiding? What are YOU afraid of, wee one? Why are YOU hanging out on an amateur radio website? YOU are not a ham. YOU are just a kid. Why are YOU on an amateur radio website? YOU are not a ham. YOU are just a kid. Why are YOU scared so? NO NAME. NO CALLSIGN. Just a silly kid playing games on his mammy's 'puter. NOONE takes a silly no name kid seriously. Why do YOU pretend to be someone that anyone would take seriously?
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2003, 12:26:21 PM »

Joe, (YKY:)
    Not every ship's employee will have an ID tag that state Name, Rank and Serial Number.  Common sense says you have to go to the Captain for a command decision, not just "some officer," what ever his/her rank, unless that has been delegated by the Captain.

And if youy feel someone here on E-HAM has attempted to steal your identity, or is an imposter, then complain to the E-HAM staff.  That's not fair to anyone, (no, not to YOU or the rest of us) and no one deserves that.  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: