Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL stuff  (Read 472 times)
M0YOJ

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2003, 05:16:23 AM »

Ok, I have a question on QSL'ing, when do you do it? This may sound dumb, but, I'm a completely self taught amateur, licence in the mail, so going on air next week or so, and, since I dont know any other hams, I havent been handed down the 'lore'

If say a guy is shouting CQ, and i make a contact, we exchange working conditions and weather pleasentries, I wish him 73 and good dx and off i toddle, with no actual mention of QSL'ing, does it mean I should? In fact if thats the case, when do you not QSL?
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 07:15:14 AM »

Well, first off, welcome to Amateur Radio. Now,
yes, you have asked a dumb question, at least from
the prospective of most US HAMs . You see, we
consider all contacts as worthy of a QSL. This
opinion changes with need and location. Since
you are what we call DX then a QSL is like toys
at Christmas for a HAM, if you catch my drift.
Most stations will work with you to reduce or
even eliminate your expenses for this process
if you just ask. There are many options available
but again they depend on the location of the
station involved. The best way is to discuss it
with the station worked until you get the feel
for it, and enough experience and confidence.
QSL cards are like rare collectables to some
so don't be offended if they are overly insistant.
Good luck and 73 -  Tim
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 08:12:49 AM »

Once upon a time (before my time however) it was standard practice to send a QSL card for a QSO although some did not even then.  Some people still follow the practice of sending a QSL card for each QSO.

So here's how I approach it.  If I want a station's card, I ask if they QSL.  If I forget to ask, I go ahead and send them a card asking for one of their's.  If I receive a card (whether or not I wanted it), I always reply with my card since they obviously want mine.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003, 10:16:30 AM »

You should feel free to send a QSL card to anyone whom you have contacted.  Cards can be sent to the various QSL bureaus in order to save postage, provided you are in no hurry to receive a reply.  Cards should be sent direct with return envelope and postage when you want a faster response.  If you are not interested in collecting cards yourself, it is considered a courtesy to confirm contacts for others who desire to collect your card.  You are not expected to provide postage and envelopes for them, however.  The only time you should definitely not QSL is for a contact that was not actually made (i.e., not in your log).  I receive several such QSL requests each year (usually from "broken" call-signs during contests.)

73 & good luck to you,

Chuck  NI0C
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 11:29:39 AM »

Hello Jim.

Congratulations on getting your license.  And NO, you didn't ask a "dumb" question.  (Asking questions is the ONLY way to learn!)

Yes, there are different opinions regarding QSL'ing.

While at one time, it was considered "the final courtesy" to QSL every contact, I believe the general concensus (there will be those that disagree) is that local QSO's(and here, I consider that anywhere stateside on HF) don't have to QSL unless one or the other operator requests a QSL.  In general, I don't think most operators in "local" QSO's need a QSL card, and there's no one offended either way.

If the other operator sends a QSL, then by ALL means send one in return.

If you WANT a QSL from the other station, you will probably be wise to include a "SASE" (self-addressed, STAMPED envelope.)  Many of the stations get a gazillion requests for QSL cards, and a SASE is the only way to get a reply.  (Granted, it should be a recipricol courtesy, but for some stations, it DOES become a financial burden.)

I QSL 100% any 6M or higher VHF/UHF DX contact; but obviously, routine local contacts are simply logged, but not QSL'd.

Multiple contacts on different dates (unless they are a special event or needed for a special award) do not usually need an additional QSL.

Anyone else who sends me a QSL will get one in return.  

Field Day and other contests are sort of a hit or miss circumstance.  I doubt most Field Day or contest stations QSL everyone as a routine, but if you need their contact to be confirmed, they should be able to provide a QSL for the contact in return for yours.

The best thing is to ask the other station if they wish to exchange QSL cards.   I've had stations say "Absolutely!" and other that are disinterested, which is their right.  But most say they WILL send a card if they receive one, even if they are NOT actively seeking my own QSL card.  If the other station says they "don't QSL" accept that; you may wish to send a card anyway, but don't expect to get one in return, although you may eventually be surprised!

Don't despair if you don't get a QSL in the return mail.  Some stations don't send QSL cards on a daily basis; some DX stations that have to send a LOT of cards may wait a few months to utilize computerized logging and label making.  (I just got a much wanted QSL for a 6M contact from California to Costa Rica, from last March.  [THAT'S DX on 6 Meters!])

Good luck, and I hope to hear you on the bands someday soon!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: