Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need A Tracking device  (Read 591 times)
CSKYHAWK

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2003, 02:10:36 PM »

I need to track verious things,. I am a pilot and I have a farm.  I would like to track my Hot Air baloon and my horses. I also think this would be conviniant for my company vehicles and my kids car. Does ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS WHERE I CAN GET ANYTHING TO HELP ME.
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 10:33:58 PM »

Sounds like for some of the "tracking" you want to do that APRS is just the ticket.  However... you can't use AMATEUR RADIO to further your "COMPANY" (BUSINESS) ... including when (if) you hire out your hot air balloon (as in rides for hire) but that does not mean you can't attach APRS equipment to your COMMERCIAL BUSINESS RADIOS and still do the tracking thing.

Horses are quite a different matter... I suppose you could fabricate some "horse collars" with APRS battery or solar powered trackers... take a page of experience from the Fish, Wildlife and Parks people who track ELK, BEAR, MOOSE, WOLVES etc, and research the pitfalls of that scenerio.  - - - BUT... again as above, if you are giving dude ranch "TRAIL RIDES" on your horseys to paying guests,  then AMATEUR RADIO is again unuseable to locate the afore mentioned equines.

Go to www.google.com and type in APRS and uncover a wealth of info about the system.

CAM - N7NBB
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 08:29:40 PM »

you can use APRS and MURS. Check out www.tapr.org for details.

A GPS, MURS radio, TinyTrak3 and software!

Be aware that to track, you must send data fairly often, so this not not something that you can use illegally.

If you want to see how it works, checkout www.aprs.net or www.findu.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: