Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS830s Frequency Display  (Read 557 times)
M1BPY

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2003, 09:18:15 AM »

Hello

Any ideas ?

The frequency display on my TS830s has recently begun to change wildly during transmission, although i appear to be tranmitting normally and can still be heard. This only appears to happen on 20m. I'm running a G5RV half wave which is not particularly high off the ground.

A friend suggests i'm getting RF back into the rig which is causing the problem. It is intermittent.

David (M1BPY)
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 06:06:54 PM »

You didn't mention if you get the same problem on 20 meters when you have a dummy load connected. You might also check all the screws holding down the various printed wiring boards. Kenwood had a habit of not using toothed lockwashers to get a good chassis ground connection, and over time, the screws get loose and you can get a intermittent ground connection to the board. Also, check the Kenwood site for bulletins on the 830. There was one for intermittent 830 display and/or VFO jumping.

Pete, wa2cwa
WD7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 12:41:25 AM »

This is a common problem with the 820 and 830. The pins and connectors for the frequency display are tinned, and tend to get a layer of corrosion on them over time. If you are comfortable opening the top of the radio, find the white plastic connectors running to the display on the front panel. Pull them off one at a time, and spray a small amount of good contact cleaner into the socket, and plug and unplug it several times. That should clear it up if there are not other problems present.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 09:43:53 PM »

WD7G is correct, this is a common problem in '830s.  In this case, the most likely cause is a bad ground on the 9v power supply for the VFO.  An easy fix.  Read all about it at:

http://www.somis.org/830.html

Scroll down to common prioblem #8.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: