Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who do we share the 30m band with?  (Read 353 times)
KB6NU

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2003, 04:09:07 PM »

A couple of days ago, I was on 30m and having a QSO with a guy who commented on the strong SSB signals near the frequency we were using. I know that amateur radio shares 30m with some other services, and that is supposedly why we are limited to CW and digital modes on that band, and I told him that maybe those signals are from users in the other service. So, my first question is, how do I find out what those other services are?

My friend wasn't buying my theory he contended that they were bootleggers of some kind. To be honest, I had to agree with him; although they were speaking in Spanish, or maybe Portuguese, and I'm not proficient in either language, they didn't seem to be following a protocol or identifying their stations with callsigns.

So, my second question: Has anyone catalogged what other stations are using 30m? In addition to the alleged bootleggers, there seems to be at least one commercial RTTY station down around 10.101.

73!

Dan KB6NU
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 10:23:35 PM »

The International Fixed Service.

73 de Ronnie

N6HBJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 12:05:49 PM »

There are plenty of other users of the HF bands on SSB besides hams. I believe 30 meters is near the aeronautical transoceanic frequencies. Don't forget maritime ship to shore, military, coast guard, etc. It is very unlikely that they were bootleggers.
N6HBJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 12:11:44 PM »

10.005 to 10.100 is aeronautical mobile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: