Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT1000MP MkV Field overheating in PSK31  (Read 443 times)
MM1APX

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2003, 05:27:00 PM »

My Yaesu FT1000MP MkV Field (with internal PSU) operates fine in CW and SSB(phone)... But when I switch to PSK31 the internal fan comes on after around 30 seconds. I appreciate that PSK31 is 100% duty cycle, so I drop the power down to 15-20W. Is it normal for the fan to come on so quickly ? Is it safe to continue operating ?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 06:47:03 PM »

Well, gee. What's the VSWR the rig is looking into? If it is high (like down in the CW portion of the band when the antenna is tuned for the top of the phone band), then maybe the fan operation is normal.

Alan, KØBG

W5WJP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 10:10:58 AM »

15-20 watts on PSK is plenty of power. I have worked all over the world with just 5 watts on PSK. As long as the fan comes on and does its job, I don't really see a problem. The MkV should be able to handle 15-20 watts with a 100% duty cycle with no problem.

W5WJP
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 11:07:33 AM »

I suspect the rig is programed to turn the fan on any time key down exceeds a certain amount of time. The fan in my 920 turns on each time I key my rig. The noise however is low. You might check the amp draw on your rig to see what its doing in this mode.

KG6AMW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: