About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:  (Read 1351 times)
N2MOX

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2004, 07:32:27 PM »

Hello to all who might be reading this. After starting up again in HAM radio, im i've been really keen on building alot of equipment recently, even designing my own. However, I have a-long road ahead of me on that.
 I'm looking for a book...2 really! One for my son, on passing his gen. test, however I'd like the book to really teach, and give the understanding that I desire.
 I've picked up a book at Radio Shack thats ok for passing the test if you just remember each of the ?'s, and answers....but there's no real teaching going on.
 So thats book #1....any idea's?
 The second book I'm interested in is a very complete understanding of electronics and theory. Something to get me started in the right path of understanding curcits, components, ect.....any idea's?
 At this point my son and I are pretty much at the same level of compitance(sp?). Which I don't mind...pretty neat really...brings us closer together Smiley
 Well sorry for the sloppy writting but I'm in a hurry...take care all
73's 2 u n urs
N2MOX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 08:50:59 PM »

i forgot to add a title...hehe. So i'm hoping sombody see's that there's been to veiws and maybe someone else will jump in Smiley
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 10:01:38 AM »

Go to www.arrl.org and look over their book selection.  There should be something there on just about every topic under the sun related to amateur radio.  You do not need to be a member to buy the books.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 10:03:30 AM »

For theory, you might want to get copies of the ARRL license manuals for Tech, General, and Extra.  They actually explain the theory that goes into the questions.  I try to keep a relatively current set on hand just for reference.
N2MOX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 01:42:20 AM »

thx for the tip! I just purchased an ARRL 2004 handbook on Ebay for $28.00. So I think that book will cover alot for me. But I will check out the web site for a good theory on the gen. test.
 My son needs it and I do also...it's been awhile Smiley
 But were both enjoying the hobby.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 09:34:20 PM »

Their licensing manuals are better for overall theory than the Handbook.  The latter is more geared to building projects.

The ARRL Operator's Manual and the ARRL Antenna Handbook are also two excellent volumes to have in one's library.

Finally every licensed amateur should have a current copy of the FCC rules for amateurs (Part 97).
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 01:59:26 AM »

to learn the stuff get the arrl books.. to pass the test go to QRZ.com and take their practice test   ( q & a format ) and when you start getting 90 % there come to EHAM here and do their test  (35 questions then answers at the end) and when you do 90 Z% again consistantly go take your test..  for learning the code check  G4FON.co.uk  great program and its free too
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: