Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-897 Price  (Read 1023 times)
N6VQQ

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2004, 05:05:49 AM »

Hi,
   Just out of curiosity, have there been any rumors as to why Yaesu reduced the price on the FT-897 by $200.00.
   This I guess is a great price undoubtably, but are their any feelings out there asto why, if you know of any, I sure would like to hear about it.
             Thanks  Ron
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 07:46:07 PM »

Why do you think Icom offers a free power supply, or a free remoting kit, or a free DSP with some of their products? Why does Ford, GM, and others offer rebates on some models? If you're not an MBA, the word which describes it all is: Marketing!

Alan, KØBG

N6VQQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 03:25:55 AM »

Alan,
    Thanks for your responce, I was just wondering if there was another unit out there that was in prototype from Yaesu that might be replacing this unit or perhaps carry a more updated configuration.
    I realize that "marketing" is an invaluable avenue to pursue when selling any items, and in this case, it is a great price for this unit IMHO.
   Nope, don't have an MBA,don't do Marketing Analysis, just take care of sick people!
           73's and Thanks
                          Ron N6VQQ
KG4YJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 01:46:56 AM »

Ron,

It never surprises me anymore here on eHam. I'm used to the bloody code vs. no-code battles, typical but we also see the ask a simple question and get an insult added with the answer just as frequently too. I'm surprised our "MBA" friend didn't mention "Close-outs", "End of year/after Christmas sale" or "Clearance" Sometimes they upgrade a certain model, fix known bugs, etc.
I'm sure the benefits of taking care of sick people are more self gratifying than a piece of paper saying that you know how to get people to part with their money.

Dave
N6VQQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 03:34:53 PM »

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your input and I too would not play into the "battles" over questions asked or ideas exchanged in these forums.
    It just seemed like my intelligence was being challenged over such a simple question, and as a person who has many "wall ornaments" I felt that it had no place or meaning relative to the question asked, but whatever, I'm glad there are people like you however who at least can come up with a "civil" answer.
    As for the FT-897 price, I decided to let the sale pass and see what happens, I had a 706MKIIG when I was back in New Hampshire during 9-11 and I liked the way it operated but it was not portable, I was going to go to NYC to help, but when I contacted the local area emergency operations facility, they said they were naturally overwhelmed with offers of assistance, but were unable to house so many volunteers, so I remained in a stand by status.
    That's when I decided to look into buying a unit that could be HF portable.
     Well, thanks again for your insight, have a great year and maybe someday when I get HF again, we can QSO.
          73 Ron    N6VQQ   Sacramento Calif.
K6TLA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 10:44:56 PM »

It is rumored that Yaesu will release a replacement for the FT-897 within 2-3 months of now.  If that is true it is possible that the most recent production run of the FT-897 was the last.  My industry source could offer no details about the replacement transceiver other than to say that it is happening and that the price will be higher.  We'll all have to wait and see what develops.

K6TLA
N6VQQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 06:08:36 AM »

Thank you K6TLA for your input. I had a feeling that there was something brewing, and you have validated that feeling.
  I wrestled with the idea of buying the 897,but thought I would wait it out, and now I'm glad I did.
   This also goes to prove that my degree although not an MBA (a little dig to a previous poster) may carry more intuitive insight into "marketing".
   Just having a little fun with that one, I just really appreciate everyones input, and I know that people who "post" and "respond" to these forums are all good people.
     Thanks again,  73   Ron  N6VQQ
K5RIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 05:40:47 PM »

Rumor says the FT897,FT857 are being replaced with a "new" configuration, the FT 857D, FT897D, etc. No word on the difference.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 02:01:43 AM »

get a ts 2000 an forget the rest
N6VQQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 04:35:17 AM »

N6AJR,
    I wish I lived closer to an HRO so I could check out all the units that I might be interested in.
     But I live in Sacramento, and wouldn't you know it, they don't have one near, only in Oakland, and thats a ways to go for a "look see".
     But  your input is well received, and when I get to that area, I will certainly check it out, as well as checking out the product inputs on this site.
     Thanks again,  
       73 Ron N6VQQ
p.s. I wonder if Arnold is a "Ham", maybe he could get HRO to put a store here, after all, we are the capitol of California.

K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 02:42:27 PM »

Did you ever think it's a DOG and not selling. They want to move them so they offer a rebate or other toys.
I bought the FT 897 for $899 with a $200 rebate due, which I have not received yet. I purchased on 12/30/03. It's the same in the automotive world, if a model is selling they don't rebate it, how many rebates do you see for Honda's?
N8NBA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 03:14:10 AM »

If you check the AES website and enter FT897D in the search box they have info on the new version. It comes with the TCXO built in and the new 60 meter band. Their price is $889.00.

http://www.aesham.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: