Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Oklahoma earthquake activations?  (Read 871 times)
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:03:34 AM »

Ares, Races, or any other group activated for the earthquake in Oklahoma?
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:49:33 AM »

I'm not aware of any. There's little damage and no loss of normal communications (phone, Internet, etc).

Check out the recent activity at http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/.

Edited the day after: I just watched the local news and saw some of the damage. The most significant damage was at the epicenter, the sparsely populated town of Sparks, and included things like fallen chimneys, cracked walls and a crumbled state highway. Road crews were out during the night to patch the highway, and I'm sure the fly-by-night construction workers will be out in full force very soon.

This 'quake was rated at 5.6 magnitude, not big by most standards, but it is the biggest ever recorded in state history. It has people wondering, "If this earthquake's strength broke the old record, what's it going to take to break this one?"

This brings up a good point, though; how prepared are you if something like this, or worse, were to happen? Oklahoma is better known for its tornadoes and other severe weather and its wildfires, and I'm sure no one really expected a record-setting (for Oklahoma) earthquake. At least one homeowner had the sense to check for sheared water and gas lines (they were), and many others are rethinking about into which rooms brick or stone chimneys might fall. It's probably a good idea to review your fire, storm, earthquake, tsunami, flood, and other emergency plans from time to time.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:51:21 PM by W5FYI » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: