Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-897 Rig Recommendations  (Read 393 times)
KI4EEV

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2004, 08:19:42 PM »

I want to buy a Yaesu FT-897 transciever. However, I am new to the world of HF. Could anyone in their wisdom give recommendations on antenna choices, tuners, etc that would give an efficient experience for this model? Even a list of equipment for this would be a good guide.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 05:49:20 PM »

You didn't say if you were referring to home station, mobile or portable operations.

If it's a home station, the FT-897 is lacking in creature comforts for a pleasant operating experience, as are all "small" rigs which are great for mobile/portable operations.  For a home station, I'd greatly prefer a "larger" rig with more front panel functionality, an easier-to-read display, and fewer controls embedded in menus.

Also, if it's for a home station, the place to invest most heavily in terms of time, effort and cost is the antenna systems.  The strong signals on the bands don't come from amplifiers, they come from effective antennas.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: